Thursday, October 2, 2008

It’s Hard to Walk Down a Steep Hill in Heels

That’s an FYI for any of you out there who might have wondered. Anyone as dumb as myself who gave it a try already knows this J. But, that all has to do with my Seattle pre-interview, which I will get to.

This week has been mostly more of the same. On Sunday I talked to Elka. Which is why the news flash is up there at the top of my blog as a new feature. I will update it weekly with a little tidbit, since I know I’ve gotten lousy at blogging much. But Elka totally admitted she loves Dwight. I told her we couldn’t be friends anymore. Unfortunately, I can’t dismiss her as my cousin. Blood runs thick and all that. :). Seriously am so excited she’s coming up in November!!! We’ve planned an Office marathon. But in addition to talking about the tv show, we had the most hilarious conversation. I love talking to her, because I just laugh so much. Elka, no butterfingers for you! Or dark chocolate milky ways for that matter :).

On Monday, I babysat Desiree. It was a beautiful day, though we weren’t expecting nice weather. So, I took Desiree to the little park in their apartment complex. She’s a cutie. I just figured it was such a nice day that it wouldn’t have been nice to keep her cooped up. She was very excited about it. We spent an hour there, and Christina called to tell me that night that Desiree had been telling her all about how she went to the park with Aunt Hila. I watched several episodes of Season 3 of The Office. And lost my battle with myself to have self-discipline and only watch 3 episodes. I watched the entire 3rd disc. I have issues. It’s how I would unwind downstairs cuddled under the covers all alone… watching the show on my mom’s computer until the wee hours of morning.

Photobucket

Tuesday I took Christina to have her blood drawn and to take her oh-so-fun glucose test. I spent pretty much the whole day with Christina, and we had a good time. We went to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. I had my Temple Recommend interview with the Bishop and then I went home. And I finished off watching Season 3 of The Office. Oh yeah! And, I got a call to interview for a part-time paraprofessional position that is closer to here than Seattle. I want a full-time job, but that doesn't mean I won't take this if they offer it while I'm looking. Plus, it's a way to get my foot in the door in a library system around here :).

On Wednesday, I took my grandmother to have her hair permed and then took both my grandparents to Costco. And rode a motorized cart from the parking lot, because I was told to follow out an old couple to their car to get the cart. And spent 2 hours shopping. Elka, you should call me at your earliest convenience. I spent the rest of the night finishing up Stargirl. And wrote my booktalk at about midnight. And got to bed far later than I should have, since I had to get up and catch the ferry this morning.

Photobucket

Today… what a day! I’ll tell you, that was exhausting! I got up and got mostly-dolled up. I wore my tennis shoes and socks over my nylons, because I wasn’t walking the 6 city blocks to SPL in heels. (Somehow walking 6 city blocks from SPL didn’t seem nearly as silly…). I made it to the ferry dock and boarded the ferry. Free to go over to Seattle, you only have to pay to come back. First time in my life I’ve ever been on the ferry by myself. Not so much fun alone. I read quite a bit, but was feeling kind of tired, so I dozed a bit. I also talked with Juliebean a bit before my phone died on me completely in the middle of Puget Sound. Turns out you don’t get such great service out there in the middle of the Sound. “Can you hear me now?” Apparently not. I had plenty of time once I got to Seattle. So, I walked up to 1st Avenue… And you know what they say, “When in Seattle, do as the Seattle-ites.” So, I went into a coffee shop and ordered a white hot chocolate. Starbucks. Then I hiked (literally, I mean this was all uphill!!!) 3 blocks up to 4th Avenue, and then over 2 blocks. To Seattle Public Library. Oh my gosh. I’ve never seen anything like it that is a library. I will say I don’t really think it’s attractive. But, it’s definitely different. It’s all glass. There are no solid walls on the outside. They are all glass. I took a few pictures from inside to give you an idea. Oh, and 11 floors! And it takes up an entire city block! It’s unreal! And they have a security guard (or probably 10) that goes around and wakes people up if they are sleeping! Hahahaha… I sat and read while I was waiting for my interview time. That’s how I know. I didn’t fall asleep, though. Anyway, by this time I’d already been into the bathroom to touch up my make-up and take off my tennis shoes and put on my heels. So, my interview was at 2. Two women interviewed me. For about 2 hours. Okay, easily one of the most grueling 2 hours of my life. They ask you all these questions about, “What would you do if…?” Or, “Tell me of a time when you ...” That was some hard stuff! I hope it went well. I didn’t feel awful at the end of it, but I was so glad it was over. Hopefully I’ll hear about whether or not I qualified for any of the positions before too long. Of course, hopefully I at least qualified for one! I mean, that was seriously the most daunting thing I’ve ever done. Probably it was a cake walk to other people, but it was like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. They did give me a free bottle of water to drink while I was interviewing. Anyway, after it was over, I was happy to leave and head on my way back to the ferry, hoping to catch the 4:10. And this was all downhill. Which wouldn’t be so bad… if I hadn’t been in heels still. Ugh, my toes paid a price. And you have to go slower, because you have to carry yourself so as not to fall flat on your face. And it was getting-off work time for all the Seattle people, so there were lots of people around. So I really didn’t want to fall flat on my face :). I made the 4:10 ferry. I found a seat and started reading. We pushed away from the Seattle dock. And about 5 minutes later, the captain of the ferry came over the loud speaker and said we were having minor difficulties. I looked up. We weren’t even moving. Hahahaha… We were dead in the water, just floating. Now, Julie… I took lots of pictures for you of the ferry so you could see how big it is. I would leave this part out of the story, because I know it will disturb you, but it’s part of the day, so it has to go in. But trust me, this does not happen often. And also, I’m here writing this, so you know we must have survived J. Anyway, they start the engine up finally (never did find out what was going on), and we head on our merry little way. Until I hear the engine cut off again about 15 minutes later. And so now we’re in the middle of Puget Sound (where there isn’t really great cell service, remember), floating again. And again, the captain came across the speaker. Pretty quickly they got the ferry going again. I’m fine, as long as we’re still floating. When I got off the ferry, I looked at it, and you could tell it was a pretty old one. But seriously, this has never happened when I’ve been on a ferry before. So, don’t let this story ruin the chance to ride the ferry, Julie J. It’s a cool thing. And since you’re doing all these things (like riding motorcycles and stuff), you can handle the ferry! I got back to my car (after not remembering which way I came out of the parking lot, so I wasn’t sure which way to go back in to find my car! – I’m such a small-town girl). I drove home. I was sooooo exhausted! I didn’t do all that much (not including the hike), but I was so tired. And then Grandma sent my mom and me out to pick up dinner from Burger King. I so didn’t want to. I wanted to stay home, eat something quick (I was soooo hungry. All I’d eaten all day up to that point was cereal in the morning and the white hot chocolate. Plus I wanted to get out of the interview suit and into something comfortable. I kind of did. I totally went to Burger King in the suit and flip flops (no nylons). But anyway, here I am, at the end of a very long, kinda stressful day. And I’m tired. But, since I started writing this, I ended up finishing it. So, if you see something in there while you’re reading that makes you think I didn’t write this on Thursday, it’s because at first I wasn’t going to post it until Friday… But since I’m writing and I can’t shut-up!!!! I ended up telling all the stories J. So, let me finish uploading the photos.
Photobucket

P.S... if you find random "J's" in here, those are supposed to be smileys. I typed it up in MS Word. And apparently the smileys don't translate... not even to a colon and close paren. Who knew?

P.P.S... SPL has a revolving door to get in, Juliebean. I thought of you :).

2 comments:

juliebean said...

I thought you were referencing me every time you put a "J" in there. SO funny. I was trying to figure it out. That does make me NOT want to take a ferry. Dead in the water... no thank you!!

Virginia said...

Call me dense, but why didn't you change back into the comfy shoes for the walk back? Actually one of the reasons I don't like dressing up is that I know I won't be satisfied unless the shoes match and I haven't taken the time to design the perfect girlie shoe. Just maybe your story will inspire me to act!