Monday, October 13, 2008

Lowering the Mean

So, yes, several days have passed since I last updated. I try to just accumulate several days' worth of information to make a good post. Gone are the days when I bore you with the mundane details daily. Well, maybe not forever gone, but definitely suspended :).

I noticed nobody has guessed the movie quote! That movie cracks me up. So, I'm giving you another week to see if anyone can guess it with two quotes from the movie :).

I am completely caught up with The Office. Thank you Bradymus for supplying Season 4. Because while I baby-sat Saria while the rest of them were somewhere north of Seattle, I pretty much finished up most of the episodes. And Saria and I had a lovely time together and she had a special treat of McDonald's, including a hot fudge sundae. Because Aunt Hilas are cool like that. And thank you NBC for putting up the 2 newest episodes online.

I am posting a picture of me and Socks. Or, as Desiree calls her, Socky Duckies (because we started calling her that as kids, my mom calls her that now, and Desiree picked it up from her Grandma). Socks is the cat we've had the absolute longest as a family. I remember when we first got her, 17 years ago. She was so small she could fit in my hand with plenty of room to spare. She is blind... She doesn't even have eyeballs. So she is a special kitty. She has moved with us from Panama to Dothan and now is here in Washington, where she has been for over 5 years now. She's well-traveled. But Socks is getting old. And she hasn't been eating much lately. My mom doesn't expect her to live much longer. And, since I don't have any recent pictures of me with this cat that used to sleep with on my bed when I was a teenager (and she would 'complain' if I disturbed her by moving...), I decided to take one, in case she goes before much longer. Poor Socks. We love her.
Me and Socks

My mother has perfected the brownie recipe. Yum. She uses almond extract. She also uses vanilla and mint, it just depends on her mood. I, however, was in the mood for almond. So here's the picture. It's too bad I can't share the smell and the taste. Just trust that they are delicious.
And moist. And anyone who wants the recipe can email me :).
Delicious brownies
(P.S. I took this picture for the purposes of the family reunion cookbook. Remember to get Great-Aunt Hila's roll recipe, Elka!)

And, I went to my first concert last night. The irony of it is that instead of going to see the New Kids on the Block for my very first concert ever (which isn't actually until November 22, but I'm not earning an income currently, so I won't be spending money to see them...), I went to a concert where I lowered the mean. Age-wise. I looked about and saw a sea of gray and bald. I kid you not. I went to see The Golden Anniversary (which means 50 years, so that should tell you plenty right there!), celebrating 50 years of great music with the Kingston Trio and the Brothers Four. I'd tell you to youtube them (you can, they are there), but instead, I'm going to help you out by uploading parts of a couple of songs. Sadly, there is only one original guy out of both groups. But, it was neat to hear the music. I knew most of the songs. (I was tortured as a child...) Nah, totally kidding. I grew up listening to my parents' music, and this was some of it. And it is good music. I have eclectic taste :). I know and like music from the 1950s, 60s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. And some 70s, but I kind of wasn't exposed to that much. Although I could probably still sing parts of a lot of songs that they put on those compilation CDs and then that they advertise on tv. I get sucked in to those kinds of commercials... I love music. Anyway, the concert was neat. These guys can sing (although I will say they sounded better in person than they do on the camera). And their talent and ability in playing the instruments! Too cool!

So, here is one from The Brothers Four (Disclaimer! That's my mom singing, not me!):

And here is one from The Kingston Trio. This one is called the MTA. They did Tom Dooley, but this one is so much cooler, if you ask me. Because this is one Brad and I laughed at as children. In fact, I sang this one to him since being at the concert, made him laugh, and got the song stuck in his head :). Ah, the memories :).

And finally, I also watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. If any of you have seen Rat Race, it's basically the same thing, only Rat Race was a re-make. The original is so much better. And so hilarious. I need to get myself a copy of that movie. I think I've been told I'm like the mother-in-law character with a big mouth and bossy. You be the judge ;). Click here.

Oh, and I also watched Made of Honor. A typical chick-flick. Cute enough. Not worth the 4.99 it cost to rent it (I have no idea why it was that expensive). And I don't think I'd own it either. But, something I'd wanted to see.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm not real familiar with those groups, but I do like oldies music. I have seen Simon & Garfunkel and James Taylor in concert. I also like Peter, Paul, & Mary, The Carpenters, The Mamas & The Papas, etc. I like folk music better than rock n roll.

Virginia said...

I thought I should know that one - but I had to look it up - Fletch Lives! So did you kitty make it to that grand old age without any meds? She is a special kitty.

Katherine Ronachert said...

those brownies sound excellent!!!

Mrs. S said...

SOcks is a really cute kitty. I always remember hearing about Aunt Debbie's blilnd cat, but I've never seen her. She still looks small to me, but maybe that's due to old age!