Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nilla Week in Review

So I'm finally getting around to posting. Basically my week has been more of the same. But the highlights are as follows:

*Institute is always good. I finally got to go back this past Wednesday. And it really does seem like lessons are directed at me, though I am sure others feel the same. I have not felt like the salt of the earth lately. I've actually been quite disappointed in my own inability to rise above the blues. So I'm thankful for new days and new opportunities to try again and to strive to be better, kinder, and more charitable.

*A surprise package from my Aunt Sue and Uncle Ernie that contained a bag of butterfingers and a bag of milky ways. You either get this and are laughing, or you don't. Just trust that it's hilarious. And it was a much-needed laugh for my as-of-late-jaded mood.

*BYU Ballroom Dancers. Thursday night, the BYU Ballroom dancers came here and performed to a packed auditorium. We weren't allowed to take pictures or video, which was a total bummer, since in the beginning they did a tribute to Fred Astaire, complete with costumes from his movies (like the fancy Ginger dresses). I thought of Tammy and Stacy the entire time and wanted so badly to be able to share a clip with them! But in spite of not getting to take pictures, the whole thing was great! Such talent. I would love to learn to dance like that. Also, if you ever get the chance to see this particular show they are doing now... The Galaxy one is awesome. I've never seen anything like it, but it was a huge hit. Very different from anything you'd expect. They hit the lights and used a black light. So you couldn't see the dancers' faces or anything. Just what was lit up by the black light. It was way cool.

*Garage Sales! And other great finds! So, my mom and I spent all of yesterday shopping. We hit a garage sale in the morning and found a lot of baby clothes (the little stuff for 0 to 12 months) for Christina. We got it all for $13.50. Nice stuff, like Gymboree and Carter's. And we got a lot of it, let me tell you. Soooo cute! Christina has a lot of the bigger clothes, from 12 months and up. But she doesn't have any of the baby baby clothes, so we are working on remedying that. We picked up Christina and Desiree and hit a couple more garage sales, but they didn't have any baby stuff. However, I did buy myself a 50 cent VHS tape of a Ninja Turtle cartoon I didn't have already. Don't laugh. I hope to one day share these with my kids. Oh, and it was TNMT from the 80s, not these new ones. The new ones aren't nearly as cool ;). At the end of the day, we also went to St. Vinny's here. We found Christina an infant carseat in great condition for $9.50!!! We were so happy! Because those are expensive brand new, but if you don't have one, you can't take the baby home from the hospital. So... Kind of a necessity. St. Vinny's is also where we found the loveseat and huge chair with ottoman. Mom and I pondered it. As we sat in it. Soooo comfortable. And then we decided we didn't know where we'd store it right now anyway (the garage is full). So we walked away. But, I kept thinking about it. And it really is a great deal. And it's in great condition. And did I mention comfortable??? So, when I take my grandparents back to look for a dark couch, if those are still there, I'm going to get them. We'll find a way to store them. They really are a great deal. So great that they probably won't be there when I get back. But, that's life.

*Family. I love my family. I love my mom for her laughter. And her support. I love my dad for his support and love and sacrifice. And even for his stubborn-streak, which is why he isn't here (I know you're reading this Dad ;)). I love my older brother who gave me a blessing of comfort in a difficult time when I know I'm here for a reason, but can't understand why things aren't falling into place. I love my younger brother for giving me a place to escape to when I need it and never making me feel like a burden. I love my sister for the same reasons, but also for her excitement to have me around. I love my SIL Michele for her preparedness and her knowledge and her willingness and excitement to share it! I love my SIL Tarylyn for her excitement about parties and her willingness to always let us use her house to have them! And of course, I love the kids who bring so much joy and laughter and so many smiles into my life. And I love Juliebean, who is like family to me. She is my best friend, and I miss our daily hour-long phone calls from back in the day. But I'm so glad we still talk just about once a week. And I'm glad she's coming to visit in the not-so-distant future ;).

So, there you have it. The week in review. I guess it mostly is a vaNilla Life :).

3 comments:

juliebean said...

I miss you nilla! sigh.......

Mrs. S said...

i hope things start to look up for you! i love ya!
katherine (i didn't want to resign in under my name.)

Katherine Ronachert said...

did i mention that you are awesome?