Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bad Hare Day

Question: How do you scare a rare rabbit?

Answer: Unique up on it.

Hahahahaha. That's a Meemaw joke (Julie's mom) -- and hopefully I got it right. Okay, so I was chatting with Heath on gmail chat this morning, and he had just woken up, so I asked him if he was "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed." He responded and then asked if I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I said, "Only on a bad 'hare' day." Okay, yes, I am a dork. Haven't I said that before?

I went downstairs to use the R&D lab to scan in those pictures I found in my memorabilia box (which is why I waited until now to post), but all of the computers with scanners were in use. Must be nearing the end of the semester and the students are frantically trying to do their projects. I know I am :). I finished my 2nd term paper last night. Yay! So anyway, who knows when I'll get to post those rough-looking pictures of me at age 10... But I promise I will :).

In other news, those stubborn 4 to 5 pounds that magically found their way onto some yet-to-be-determined part of my body (if I had known which was the offending part, I might have cut it off) in July have just as magically disappeared. I'm not complaining. Just stating the fact stated by my scale. (And cheering just a little bit inside -- both for the fact that they're gone, and for the fact that it did not require the amputation of some important part of my anatomy to make them go away :) ).

And since I have nothing better to tell, how about a remember-when story...

We'll call this one: "Tommy did it with his shirt"... Back in the summer of 1993, Nikelodeon's Gak Splat was hugely popular. Brad and Christina had several different colors. It was kind of like an ooze of sorts, but not as slimy. Well, one day Brad's friend Tommy was over and Tommy played little league football, and he was wearing his "White Rams" football jersey. Nylon material and all that... So he decided to see what would happen if he squeezed the gak through his football jersey. Well, the gak came oozing through the huge mesh holes. Brad and Tommy thought that was the coolest thing ever. So that night, Brad, alone, decides to re-enact the scenario with a cotton blanket. I told him not to. I told him that it wouldn't work. How I knew this little bit of information, I am not sure. But I was sure it was not going to work. Brad nonchalantly replied, "Yeah it will. Tommy did it with his shirt." And so he proceeds to squeeze the (I believe purple-colored) gak through the cotton blanket. And, low and behold, the gak stuck like glue. Poor Brad. He knew he'd messed up big. And naturally, I took the opportunity to gloat and laugh and say "I told you." Brad, freaking out at having ruined the blanket, was getting more and more frustrated with me the more I laughed and so he said, "Get out of my room, Hila. Just get out." So I left the room with a backward glance, telling him, "Okay, I'll just go tell Dad." Well, this was the ultimate threat, of course, so Brad was like, "Get back in here, Hila... Get back in here." I wish I could describe the tone of his voice. It was like he was doing me some big favor by permitting me entrance back into his room, almost like it was a fort I so desperately wanted to enter. Anyway, I guess I stopped making fun of him and left him to the business of solving his predicament. I know that a few minutes later, Brad was at the bathroom sink running the blanket under cold water. I told him that that wasn't going to work, and he replied, "Yes it will. It says it distills in standing water." Obviously Brad didn't know what that statement meant, but he was desperate to try anything, thinking he'd be in big trouble. The poor kid. Finally we went downstairs and told my mom. She wasn't worried. She told Brad not to worry about it, that she'd wash the blanket. And she did, and it came out. But it was funny to me, the whole scenario. Poor Brad. If only he'd have listened to me in the first place ;). I guess I was pretty cruel to laugh at him, though. Oh, and this was that same summer, so you can see what Brad would have looked like then. Man, we've gotten old.
And FYI -- That was the summer we spent 6 weeks in Dothan and we were bored to tears... So we spent a lot of time "posing" for pictures. This was one of Brad's poses. And since I don't think he reads my blog too often, he'll probaby never know I shared it with the world...

And finally, for the 80's child in all of us (and especially any who might have 30 minutes to kill):

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i LOVE the picture!

Heath Hopkins said...

I had forgot all about The Littles!

80s cartoons. I was wondering what I did with my youth.

juliebean said...

yes, you got the joke wrong. too hilarious. I think your version is funny though. You added a word that was never there "rare". It is just a plain old rabbit, not a rare one. :)