Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Space Case

Yep, so it finally happened. I space-cased a commitment. And I feel like a heel. I was supposed to be home tonight to talk to April when she called. Because some friendships are worth the effort it takes to maintain in spite of miles and miles between us. I have a lot of those friendships. And I try to always make it a point to maintain them. And today I blew it. And I'm so sorry April. I just totally spaced it. That's what I mean about being a beaver lately (in my prior post). What I neglected to do was explain the personality of a beaver. A beaver personality will over-extend itself. It will commit to a bunch of different things and then not be able to fulfill those committments. Not intentionally, of course. Just out of sheer impossibility. One cannot be in two places at once. And, as in my case today, I totally spaced something I myself scheduled. Ugh. I am a heel.

Lea texted me last minute and invited me to go to her son's choir concert. I thought to myself, "I was just going to work in the garden, and that can wait until tomorrow" and so I agreed to go. The concert was really awesome. Her son has some serious talent. He sang this song as a dedication to the seniors (he is a freshman). It was cool to hear all the singing from these high school and junior high school kids who have some massive talents. And it was fun to hang with Lea and her family. I still feel guilty, though, for spacing the phone call. Ugh. Sorry April. I need to decide to do a day planner. Perhaps that will help ;).

The remainder of my week went thusly:

Memorial Day at the funeral home. The weather was totally crappy. It rained all weekend until about noon on Monday. We ate really well, though. And we worked it the entire time. It's really a big party for the most part. We ride around in golf carts. We hang around. We eat our weight in hot dogs (okay, I only ate one, but some people ate a lot of hot dogs, since we provide them for the Scouts). The night of the program, Brad and Tarylyn came with the kids and so did Christina with the girls. And at the end was fireworks. And watching fireworks with kids is a whole new experience. Every firework, regardless of how small, is "cool" and "wow". Gotta love the sweet innocence of the kids. Christina had told Desiree there was a surprise, but not what that surprise was (the fireworks). So when the fireworks were going off, Desiree turned to me and said, "I think this is the surprise." And she had the cutest smile. And I said, "I think you're right." And Emily is walking all over the place and has a ton of teeth. She loves her Aunt Hila, but isn't too keen on going to her grandma. Poor Mom. Emily has just been around me more, is the only reason. She knows me and recognizes me more than she does my mom.

So yeah, that was the weekend as far as work goes. Long. Tiring. But good. I went to that barbecue with my newly painted toes. And what d'ya know? They worked! Hahaha. Nah, I'm kidding. Kind of. The bbq was slightly awkward, because I don't mingle well in big crowds of people I don't really know. So I didn't stay too terribly long. But then, neither did this other guy there who came over and talked to me and who had asked me out in the past, but for a multitude of reasons, we'd never gone out -- not for lack of interest, though. Anyway, so we ended up going and getting an Italian Cream soda at a local diner. It was fun and enjoyable. But it's not going to go anywhere. Religion seems to be my (worthwhile) issue of choice. Heavy sigh. But the evening was nice, and I'm glad we had the opportunity to go out and get to know each other better, even if it is what it is. I'm still leaning toward the possibility of being the weird old cat lady in the corner house ;). Because the guys I am interested in -- well there is always something making it a no-go situation (usually religion). And the guys who could be a "go" situation (at least as far as religion goes) are not particularly interesting to me. At least the ones so far. For example, I went on a kind of double date with a guy about a month ago and a couple from church, and the guy wasn't interesting to me at all. He was nice, not a bad looking guy. But not interesting to me in any romantic sense at all. So yeah... cat lady.

Speaking of cats and houses... I'm house-sitting next week for Alligator Bob and his wife while they go on a cruise. They have 3 cats.

And also speaking of houses... I'm feeling the urge to become a homeowner. So I'm getting up the nerve to start looking into that (can I really be old enough for this?). I am unsure that I will qualify for a loan, seeing as my employment situation doesn't look awesome on paper. But my credit is rockin' awesome (my new favorite phrase ;)), and it doesn't hurt to try. I have my eye on a cute little house. Of course, there are a million things I don't even know about. But I suppose if it's meant to be, it will all work out. And if not, I continue to try to exercise that trait I lack so much known as patience ;).

So aside from all of these exciting things and walking (I did over 17 miles between Monday and Tuesday! -- not such great numbers to report today), there isn't much else going on. But I think that's really about enough. Obviously I'm not doing such a good job of keeping up with just those things ;).

Although. We can't forget the garden. I need to work in it. With the whole weekend being spent at work, I didn't do much in it. I'm thinking I need to be more wary of slugs, since it's been so rainy here. I have buds on 4 of my plants now. I'm uber-excited about this. All of my cucumber seedlings went the way of the dodo (I think the birds ate them), so I'm going to look into buying some cucumber plants. Hopefully. I think slugs may have gotten to one of my pepper plants and started munching on the leaves. If I catch them, I will salt them. Gross. And I am told my strawberries will not produce the first year. Bummer. So if I do get a house, guess who will be transporting strawberry plants? But that's a big if.

And so that is the Nilla Life. In a nutshell.

4 comments:

Heather said...

The movie quote is from Adventures in Babysitting.

Heather said...

If you buy a house, be sure to get an inspection and plan ahead for all of the things that can and will go wrong with a house. Owning a house is much more expensive than just a mortgage payment.

juliebean said...

I can always count on your for a good blog read. That is too bad about your cucumbers, farming is hard. You are learning lots though!! Wish I could come house sit with you.

Kira =] said...

the baby sitting blues!! =]

adventures in babysitting. classic.