Thursday, April 22, 2010

Because Thorns Have Roses


Is there something going around? It seems like so many people are getting hit with tough trials right now. Good, decent, wonderful people. So in honor of trying to look on the bright side, I'm going to find some roses among the figurative (and copious) thorns I'm feeling poked by ;). Because as Ziggy (and probably someone else that isn't animated) said: "You can complain because roses have thorns, or rejoice, because thorns have roses."

I'm so thankful that my tomato plants are growing so much! It's so exciting to watch them. Just about 2 more weeks, and I'll be planting them outside :)! Still hoping for good production!

I'm so thankful for a good night's sleep. Because I can remember times when I didn't have that in my life. I can remember laying awake for hours tossing and changing positions in the hope of finally drifting off into blissful sleep. It was awful. And now, most nights, I drop off within 15 minutes. And that alone is bliss.

In a tanked economy where there are over 10,000 unemployed people in the county in which I live, I am thankful to have, not only one job, but 2. And yeah, it can get old getting up at 7:30 and working 6 days a week. But I have the money to meet my obligations and then some. And so I am thankful to have work, even when I'm tired.

I am thankful to have insurance. Good insurance. For vision, dental, and health. Because already, that insurance is going to good use. I've visited the dentist (though my cleaning isn't scheduled until May 21) and my first "introductory" visit and my teeth cleaning will be free. And, due to some bum circumstances, it will save me $500 on re-crowning one of my teeth. And yeah, it stinks to pay $500 more on this same stinkin' tooth. But it could have been $1000. And it could have gotten worse if I hadn't been able to go the dentist now.

I am so thankful to have true-blue, stand-beside-you-through-everything, be-there-for-you-for-anything friends. Lots of them. I know there are people who don't have a clue what a friend like that is like. I'm so thankful I do.

I'm thankful to have nieces and nephews who love me and whom I can see frequently. Ones who say, "My daddy (speaking of Brad) is 17." And when he is corrected that his daddy is actually 28, he replies, "Oh my gosh! Dad had a birthday while we were asleep!" Because then you can't help but smile. And for that small moment, all is right with the world.

There are so many roses among my thorns. And sometimes I just need to stop and count them. And then smell them ;). And for now, I'm going to curl up with my laptop and watch an awesomely 80s chick flick that I borrowed from the library. And since it's an I Love the 80s one, it also came with a CD of four 80s songs. How awesome is that?

1 comment:

jessica said...

Those are some great looking tomato plants! Are you sure you don't want to start a green house?!
Just Like Heaven