Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Opinions Needed - And Fast!

So there is a job opening in my library system for a branch manager. It has been open for quite some time now, but I kind of thought I'd wait and see if they filled it, and if they didn't -- and re-opened it, then I'd apply at that point. And I was happy with that decision (probably mostly because I could just not do anything about it...). But then today, my boss at the library called me to the back and asked me if I had seen the job posting. She said she understood there were "negatives" to my taking that job, but she wanted to be sure I knew that she would understand if I wanted to try for other positions, even though I've only been in my position there for 2.5 months. She said she knows I'm a professional librarian and that I will naturally want a professional position. So I told her my thoughts, assuring her that I had seen the posting. And she said that, while they try to get professionals into certain positions, if none apply, they very well may opt to hire a paraprofessional for the position just to fill it, if they have no other choice. So there's the possibility that they wouldn't re-open the position at all, and would instead fill it with someone less qualified than I am. (Not that I'm tooting my horn saying I'm uber-qualified or anything. Just that I have the degree they want to have, and the experience -- well, except I've never managed other people). So here we go with a decision I need to make -- and fast (as in the close date for application is Friday -- as in the day after tomorrow :)).

The pros of this position are that I would be a library manager. Yes, I've been that before, but it's a little different here, and I'll be managing other people. This will look fabulous on a resume. It's a small library, and I like that. I loved Ashford. I loved the small-town feel of it all. This position is an increase in pay by about $7000 a year, and I'll be working a lot less hours. 28 to be exact over the course of 4 days a week. Which would mean I could take on a part-time job if I really wanted to. Plus it still has all the insurance and retirement benefits I enjoy now as part of the library system.

The cons of this position, were I to be offered it, are as follows: It's 3 hours away. I'd have to relocate. I'm so ready to be on my own, it's not even funny. But I moved to Washington, in part, to be close to my family. Living 3 hours away is practically like living in another state. It would be a "trip" to come and see my mom and my siblings and my nieces and nephews. (Although I would be a lot closer to Forks, so maybe that's a plus ;) -- haha, totally kidding). The other thing is that this library is kind of out in the boonies. It's about 40 minutes to the nearest real town, though my understanding is that there are some convenience stores and such there. Plus it's probably beautiful, since it's in the rainforest and right next to a lake in the Olympics. And it's a bit less expensive to live there according to alligator Bob, so my salary should probably be sufficient. I'm pretty sure I could live on that salary here where the cost of living is a bit higher, so I think I could definitely live there just fine. Mostly my biggest concern is being as far away from my family. The kids already grow up so fast.

But I'm single. And I don't have anything tying me here. I could pick up and move to Timbuktu if I wanted (though my best friend tells me I'm not allowed to leave the States). And this is a great opportunity to get a really great position on my resume (possibly -- this is all assuming I even was offered the job). And there's nothing to say I would have to stay there for the rest of my life. It could just be a stepping stone. A way to get that kind of a position under my belt and then, should something open up here in this county, I could apply for it and maybe have more of a chance of being considered.

Ultimately, I've never wanted to be a career woman, it's true. But like one of my favorite quotes reminds me: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." What I had planned for my life is not what I'm doing now. I wanted to be a wife and a mother. And somewhere along the way, I got a bit derailed. And while they are still what I want, I am learning to accept that they may not be what I get. And so maybe I need to consider this, because maybe it's the path I need to take.

And I totally realize that, in the end, the decision to apply or not apply -- or to accept the job or not accept it, should I be offered it -- is mine and mine alone. I will have to pray about it and ponder it. But it never hurts to ask my loved ones (ie all of you ;)) what their opinions are. So, feel free to comment with any thoughts :).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

And p.s. That is super that your boss specifically said something to you about it - you have obviously impressed her :-) So, you go girl!

Unknown said...

You should totally apply....it is better to apply and not wonder "what if". You can worry about the logistics of accepting the job later! And just b/c you are applying doesn't mean you have to take the job. Another really good thing would be that even getting an interview would be a really great thing. It will help you on the next interview of the job you REALLY want that is close to family :-)

And that is my 2 cents!

juliebean said...

totally late and I know you already did, but I think you did the right thing by applying!

juliebean said...

i know the movie. it is Just Like Heaven. great ness.

that line is by the guy from YOUr mom goes to college...................................napoleon dynamite.

hehehehee

Katherine Ronachert said...

boy, i'm a day late and a dollar short.. sorry. i say go for it!!! 3 hours isn't that long. a little much, but you could get books on tape to listen to during the drive.

April Lauren said...

You should apply! Congratulations!! That is so exciting. And, just to note, I live exactly 3 hours from home and I love it. I am close enough to run home for the weekend, and I make it home once a month or so...