Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why'd [I] Have to [Grow] and Make Things so Complicated?

I am easily one of the biggest dorks on the planet. I was thinking of this blog post when I got out of the shower and this song (and my alteration of it) popped into my head, and I smiled. Hahahaha... I crack myself up. So, here's the song to go with this song-title post :).

Julie and I often ask each other -- from the wise vantage point of adulthood... Why did we want to grow up so badly when we were teenagers? There is only one plausible answer: we were cuh-ray-zee! Grown up life is full of so many things I know I didn't even think of when I was a teenager. For example... I got this packet in the mail since I'm starting this new job. Basically it is full of forms and such that have me choosing what retirement plan I want to contribute to (like do I want a plan that I can draw from after only 10 years of service, or do I think I might put in 20 years of service in the public sector, and could therefore feel happier with the other plan? or like do I want to contribute more money each paycheck for a smaller return if I do the 10 year thing or contribute less money with a larger return after I put in 20 years?) And then I have to choose between dental plans (which is paid 100% by the employer, so that is wondermous), but that means I should be able to know what makes the plans different, and I didn't receive any literature on that, so I will have to do my own research. And then I have to choose which health insurance plan I want. Same issue as the dental plan thing. And don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I'm just amazed at all these decisions and responsiblities that keep cropping up in adulthood. I mean, who knew? Of course, if we did know, we might all go on strike to stay teenagers forever, right? ;). And there'd probably be a bunch of loony parents running around (having gone crazy from the fact that their teenage children stopped growing and never moved out...). The other thing is that they do a background check. I'm not concerned about this, since I've had one done already here, and plus, I haven't been a shady character.... or have I ;)? But every time, I have to remember my addresses from the last 7 years of my life! Let's just say I have a lot. 7 to be exact (though 2 of them are the same, with about 3 years between them). I guess that's reason enough to continue living in the basement for the next 7 years ;). I can just have 1 address to remember! Hahahaha... Totally kidding.

In other exciting (yeah right) news... So I get this phone call from a phone number in Alabama that has called me before, but didn't leave a message. I googled it the last time, and it came up with State of Alabama or something. But then I found this site where people were telling where the phone number went to, and it turns out it's probably some middle man who gets the job of soliciting donations from alumni from the various Alabama Universities (like Troy, Auburn, etc). So when I answered my phone and they asked for me by my married name, I knew it wasn't a phone call I needed to concern myself with.... Anyone important knows my current last name and that's all there is to it. Turns out the girl was updating alumni information for Troy. And she was also asking if I'd been receiving a copy of Troy T (whatever that is), to which I replied, "No, because I haven't lived in Alabama for the past year and a half." And finally, she asked if I would like to donate money to the school. Ummm. No. And okay, I was probably a little short with her on the phone. Because this is ridiculous. But then I felt guilty, because if she's sales person, I know she's just trying to do her job. I'm not saying I was out and out rude with her. But I probably could have been nicer and less peeved that they were calling my cell phone and using up my minutes. Because I happen to work with salespeople who are really good and nice people. And while I don't have money to be giving away left and right, I know that they are just trying to earn a paycheck like I am. And their job is a lot harder (from my perspective) than either of mine are, I'm sure. I couldn't be a sales person, because the rejection would destroy me. I know this about myself. So note to self... Be nicer, even to annoying situations. I guess what annoyed me most was that they didn't bother to leave a message when they called the first time, and I think that's a bit rude. When I get a phone call from a Southeastern Alabama number that I don't recognize, I have to check it out, because my dad is there, and I need to make sure he's okay and that someone isn't calling about him, you know?

So, that's it in a nutshell. I finished Ender's Game (and booktalked it on my other blog). I'm now reading Angels and Demons. And I'm working on the 3rd season of Scrubs. And I found a song I love on one of the episodes, so I'm linking it here for you :). And I'm taking notes, because April and I are planning our next big theme party (though who knows when it will be... but this just means we will have plenty of time to make it perfect ;)). And it will be a Scrubs party. And if you haven't a clue what I'm talking about when I mention theme parties with April, click on "Pink, it's my favorite crayon" link under my picture. Or click here. Or here. That's a sample of our past parties ;).

3 comments:

Heather said...

I got a call from Troy Alumi last week too. I do get their e-mail newsletter, but I never look at it. I paid them enough money when I was a student there. As a matter of fact, I just paid off my student loan, so I'm not giving money to the alumni.

That's great that you get benefits with your new job. A lot of places don't give part-time people benefits. Yes, do your research and choose wisely. On the health & dental, make sure that they have providers in your area and compare what your out of pocket expenses could be for various situations.

If someone were to do a background check on me, I think they would be suspicious(?sp) that I have had the same address since I was 3 years old.

Nilla said...

Heather -- Yes! I am so thankful and thrilled that the library offers benefits to part-time people! You're right, it's not often that you see this happen.

juliebean said...

I got a call from Huntingdon also, they managed to talk me out of 25 bucks. All the universities must be doing it. what other blog do you have?