Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Forgotten Memories

Isn't it funny how you forget things, but they aren't ever forgotten? Because somewhere along the way, something will spark the memory and this hilarious experience will come to the forefront from some deep, dark crevice in your brain. This particular memory was sparked when I had to drive for training and found out I'd be re-imbursed for the trip. I remembered a time in 2000 when I was asked to fill in at the Columbia Branch of the library, and that meant I had to drive about 30 minutes. Well, HLML wasn't big on re-imbursing money. Instead we got the privelege of driving the behemoth blue station wagon and use the gas card to fill up. So this station wagon was enormous. I don't know what model it was, but it was huge. And old. And neither the gas gauge nor the speedometer worked. So, it was anyone's guess if I was speeding down Highway 52. The good news is that I didn't get pulled over ;). At one point, the maintenance guy at the main library was driving the station wagon for something work-related, and a cop pulled him over because the tags had been expired for something like 10 years! Whoops! Since it was a vehicle registered to the county or the city (don't remember), there weren't any penalties. Just advisement that we get the tags renewed -- and soon!

Anyway, random, I know. But so funny to remember small tidbits like this ;).

3 comments:

juliebean said...

i love the houston love memories!

jessica said...

I wish you had a picture of this sweet car!

Nilla said...

I wish I had a picture too! I should ask my friend Kristin if it's still there. It probably is. She could take a picture and send it to me and then I'll post it ;). That would be a great memory-sparker! :).