Monday, February 1, 2010

SHHHHHH-OOT

That's the librarian SHHHH in me coming out ;).

Im kidding. Although I'm seriously annoyed by the whole Ender's Game situation. I seriously have a craving to get my read on, but I can't. I seriously cannot start another book without finishing that one first. This is one of my quirks. You can imagine the horror and anguish I must have felt being an English major and having no choice but to read more than one book at a time. But at least in that case, I had all the books in my possession! Not so with Ender's Game. I will not be able to finish it until some unknown future date. And believe me, I've tried. Even the downloadable copy is checked out through the library system here! And most of you may already know that I loathe the idea of reading a book online (which is probably why I haven't really bothered to try to read Midnight Sun, by the way). There is something gratifying, for me, about having a book in my hands and turning the pages. Old fashioned, yes. But me nonetheless. I don't even really care for audio books. I can't stay focused on them. My mind wanders and I have no clue what I just listened to. So, I don't go that route either. Anyway, so today I went to Goodwill to see if they, by chance, had a copy. Nope. On Friday, I tried another thrift store that I frequent... Nope. They had another book by the same author, but not Ender's Game. Today I also tried a used book store I have never been to before. Nope. I got to work and was talking about it, and a lady there suggested I try the two used book stores up by where she lives and if they had the book, she'd be happy to swing in and pick it up for me. One store didn't answer the phone all afternoon (and I called at least 4 times). The other one didn't have it, and that lady said she's been having a hard time getting her hands on it as well. So blah. I have struck out royally. I finally just put it on hold. So here's to hoping that at least one of the people who have it checked out will return it on time, if not sooner ;). Oh the hardships! LOL.

My car is falling apart. Got the bulb in the headlight replaced. Not expensive. Door locks are the new issue. Most days I have to really jam hard to get my key into the driver side lock. Some days I either can't get the key inserted no matter how hard I try, or, if I do get it inserted, I can't get the key to turn. And in that case, I only am willing to exert so much pressure... Don't need the key snapping off in there... YIKES! And the passenger side... Key always inserts fine. But it doesn't always come back out easily. So, I'm going to try to put graphite dust or whatever into the driver's side door and see if that does the trick.

Last night I watched several episodes from the 2nd season of Scrubs that I don't think I ever saw on tv. Way funny. And tonight I watched The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Cute concept for the movie. Romantic comedy -- the best kind. Kind of on the raunchy side, though.

I changed my "Glimpses" section on the right for the month of February. This month is the month of love. I linked accordingly :).

6 comments:

wilkinson family said...

i hate that, i am the same way about books. however after having kids, esp. kids who move books, I have had to try to get over that. so if they move it and can't find it, i try to find it, and after a few hrs. give up frustrated to try to red another book and when i'm half way through book 2, they find book 1 and i finally finish them in whatever order my mind is still captivated by the stories. (did that make sense?)

Nilla said...

Makes complete sense, Anna. I know I probably need to just move on and pick up another book, because I'm wasting precious reading time! Sadly, I think what is bothering me most is that, if I start another book, I still can't cross of the last one from my list of books to read, and I can't add it to my list of books that I've read! (Me and my lists...!)

Nilla said...

Arg... and I misspelled "OFF" in the last comment. I wrote "OF". I hate it when I do that!

Mrs. S said...

That really stinks about your car. Maybe in 10 years when its dead and gone it will be a really funny memory!

Nilla said...

I'm wondering if the car lock thing has anything to do with the weather? It seems to be worse in the colder months...

Kira =] said...

try half.com for the book. I saw it for 75 cents plus shipping. And in my experience it gets to you in about a week. =]