Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cold Busted and Smelly Flashbacks

So, when the majority of your time at work is spent by yourself in a 45-foot container, you feel quite free in belting out the music loudly as you sing along with your awesome mix of music on your Zune (thanks a million, sweet Christina ;)). And so you do this for 2 weeks, since that's how long the container (file room) has been up-and-running. So what are the odds that you'll get cold-busted twice in one day??? Apparently they are pretty darn good, since that's what happened to me yesterday :).

The first time, I was hitting the high notes of Boston's More Than a Feeling (an awesome song, by the way), when I noticed the light shining in (it was a sunny day) at the other end of the container, indicating the door was open. And in comes Randy, smiling. So, I stop and pull out my earbuds. Too little, too late. He says, "I was trying to be quiet. I was on my phone. I've been out there for a while. I should invite you to my next karaoke night." Okay, I could've just chalked it up to him just telling me he heard me. But then he said, "More than a Feeling. Yep, that's a great song." I'm sure I was as red as the pajama top I'm wearing now. It's a darn good thing I know I was at least semi-on-key from a time I sang this while playing Rock Band, and I got decent enough scores. Yippeee! I wasn't murdering ears.

So you'd think I'd learn my lesson, right? Yeah, not so much. Because a few hours later, Bob busted me. Only this time I was singing to Enrique Iglesias' Hero. And Bob being about my parents' age, this wasn't a song he knew. He probably could have listened to me sing that whole song, and I wouldn't have known he was there, if he hadn't flipped the lights off and on to get my attention. Hahahaha... And he says, "Hold me in your arms tonight? What are you listening to?" Dang! I'm pretty sure I won't live this down.

So, I wonder who will bust me next. And what I will be singing. Because sometimes, you just have to sing. Hopefully, though, they won't catch me dancing up and down the middle of the file room on my way to a file.... It happens, I'll admit it here. But I'll deny it if you try to tell anyone who might catch me :).

Of course, the other downfall about jamming out to blaring music (even if you're not singing at that moment) is that when the Honor Guard starts shooting off shots right outside of the container, you kind of have a minor heart-attack -- even if you were forewarned that it'd be happening... Gunshots are loud. Just FYI.

Also, I went to work today. To get in hours in case I don't get a chance to work 30 hours this week. (Our work week runs Saturday through Friday... it's weird). And so I walk into the building from the back door. This hallway is an "employees only" area. And for good reason. It's where the door to the prep room is. I'm not allowed into the prep room, by the way. And I don't really mind that, since that's where they do the prepping of bodies. So, what I learned today, as I was walking down that hall, was this: apparently formaldehyde smells the same now as it did when I was a junior in high school. Usually the hallway doesn't smell. But phew! Today I got one whiff and thought, "Hmmm. This is familiar. It smells like cat dissection!" Hahahaha... What a memory! It's funny how our sense of smell is so linked to memory. Anyway, that link is to when I wrote about cat dissection a while back. Feel free to peruse if you haven't before :).

8 comments:

Kira =] said...

Yeah, I used to belt out songs while working in the kennel. It helped me keep my sanity and the dogs quiet down. Only later did I realize the whole office could here me back there. =]

Katherine Ronachert said...

those are great stories! it's a genetic thing, you know, not helping being able to sing...

juliebean said...

the movie is The LIttle mermaid. baby crying, havent read the post yet.l... will hit is later. love ya

juliebean said...

that is too funny. I do not sing out loud... well ever... tee hee. Those songs were not too embarrasing though, it would have been worse. I can think a song by the divinyls that would be very embarrasing.

Christina said...

the movie is The Little Mermaid. Ha, got the movie from the poll on my blog. :)

Christina said...

Haha!!! I totally know what you mean about just having to sing sometimes, especially when the song just has that up-beat & awesome tune. Thankfully I never get caught doing it while I'm at work, I always catch myself singing 'Livin on a Prayer' (it plays on either Rockband or Guitar Hero in the store), but luckily I've caught three guys doing it, to that song :). I love you Hila, you always crack me up...too bad Mr. R didn't catch you.

the happy thomas family said...

movie ::: little mermaid, of course!

Katherine Ronachert said...

little mermaid