Monday, March 2, 2009

My Brother, the Hero

So yesterday, my older brother Ben was my hero :). He showed up and drilled my front plate right onto my car and so far, so good :). Thank you so much, Ben!!! I love you!
Photobucket

Today I went to work at 8:30. I have quite a routine going. I get there, get my cocoa (I guess this is the equivalent of Nilla coffee ;)), and go sit down in the big Friendship Room for the daily meeting. And let me tell you that sometimes I am sure I have a little bit of my mom's genes in me... See, lately, I've been drinking the Land O Lakes hot chocolate that comes in like 6 or so different flavors. Side note: I'm so bummed that they did away with the mint chocolate one. What were they thinking!?! Anyway, so they come in these little foil packets. And so every day, I empty my packet into my "I Love Jim" mug (thanks again, Elka ;)), and then I proceed to fill the packet with hot water from the coffee machine that has a little hot water spout. So, hotter than tap water. The first time I did it, I filled that sucker up with hot water -- you know, to get all the powder residue left on the packet... Well, those packets are pretty darn good heat conductors, so it burned my hand. But whatever... I got through it, thoroughly enjoyed my cocoa (which probably wouldn't have been half as good without those little bits of powder that were clinging for their lives to the packet, right?), and promptly forgot about the whole thing. Then the next morning, I repeated the same steps. So, one of the guys watched me (he'd watched me the day before and heard me say, 'ow! That's hot!'). And so, wonder of wonders, I burned my hand again, and I said, as I laughed, "I don't know why I keep doing this. I know it burns." And he laughed... Anyway, so I still put water in the little packet, but I don't fill it all the way, and I've learned how to hold it... Okay, so why does this make me say I have some of my mom's genes in me? Well, because this is how she used to make kool-aid. She'd fill the little kool-aid packet with water several times after dumping in the powder, and add that packet-water to the pitcher first... You know, to get all the flavor. Hahahaha... Of course, you do use cold water with the kool-aid. So maybe I'm my very own class of special.

Anyway, so that's my routine. Like you wanted to know :).

Today I didn't work in the file room at all. I worked on typing up cards for funeral files. I also worked the reception desk for about 40 minutes while the receptionist went to lunch. Oh, ironically, Elka... The receptionist's name really is Pam. I left work at about 2 so I could hit the bank and then head over and watch Desiree and Emily so Christina could go to work.
Photobucket

When Nick got home, I headed over to Brad's new house to give them boxes I'd been collecting. It was fun to see the house they are moving into. It's nice. Seems roomier than the house they are in now, but perhaps just becuase this house doesn't have an upstairs, so the room seems more "usable" since the upstairs area of the house they've been in is pretty much exclusively a playroom for the kids... So tomorrow I'll be helping them move the big stuff. Moving is such a joy, let me tell you :).

So, this is random, but it's something I discovered not too long ago. Or rather, I realized it. Despite the fact that it drizzles here a lot, it doesn't storm. I haven't heard thunder or seen lightning since I left Alabama. Isn't that crazy? Just one day, it occurred to me that that was true. One day last week, we had "heavy" rain. But really, it's still just sprinkles in Alabama-talk. Today the high was nice... Somewhere around 58 or so. I heard, though, that the temperatures will drop again, and we might get more snow. Ick! Hahaha... Actually, though, I think by this point, it won't stick to the ground, so it's no biggie :).

*And Julie, Christina, Stacy, and Elka have guessed the movie quote correctly!*

9 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

love love love ben's outfit! seriously awesome! 2 updates already! i'm feeling spoiled!

Nilla said...

My SIL Michele makes his scrubs for work, and that top is one of his retired ones. Pretty awesome work, huh? (I know you love the 'mingoes' as Desiree calls them).

Katherine Ronachert said...

absolutely i do! going to bed!

Heather said...

My brother-in-law said he misses thunderstorms since they left Maryland. Apparently they don't have them in UT either.

Mrs. S said...

Little Mermaid!!!

Mitchell4 said...

Awe. Brothers are awesome.
I know they appreciate your help with the move.

juliebean said...

you are in your own class of special. but that is why we love you so much.

Jenny said...

same here hila. we get lots of stormy weather but, no thunderstorms. every now and then we will see some lightning

Christina said...

So apparently I have a lot of Mom's genes in me, when I make Kool*Aid I do exactly the same thing. Hahaha...that's so funny. I never knew Mom did that, must be exactly where I got it from. Love ya Hila