Thursday, February 26, 2009

Front Plates Suck

So, with the end of February rapidly approaching, I have found it necessary -- or at least wise, so I don't end up with a ticket -- to renew my car tabs. This, of course, requires that I register my vehicle in Washington State. Goodbye to the Stars that Fell on Alabama. Goodbye 38-tag. Well, almost, anyway... See, in this glorious state, they believe firmly in two plates per vehicle. One for the front, and one for the back. Alabama requires but one plate: in the rear of the vehicle. Which makes good sense to me, since cops are generally following you from behind if they really care about you. Right? So anyway, how the heck do you put a tag (oops... plate. tag is Alabama-talk. I've been informed that they are called plates up here ;)) on this?:
Photobucket
Photobucket

So, I went and registered the car. Got the plates. Asked that pertinent question. The girl tells me to go to an auto parts store and ask for a plate installation kit. And to play the girl card and maybe they'd install it for me. Well, the people at the auto parts store suggested I go to the dealership to see if they make a bracket for installing a plate so that I wouldn't have to punch holes into the plastic. But the guy at the dealership tells me the bracket thing is $31 and change, and if it was him, he'd just poke the holes in and put on the plate, since I'd have to poke holes in the plastic anyway to install the bracket thing. So he suggested getting self-tapping screws from a hardware store. So, let me just go ahead and say that, had I known I would end up in a state that requires front plates when I was shopping for my car... I'd have definitely gone with something that didn't have a bubbled-out front. Okay, so I have successfully purchased the self-tapping screws. And that's as far as I've gotten so far. I have until Saturday to get those lousy plates on. What a fun adventure. I'm not really complaining about it ;). I just think it's amusing. How crazy, huh?

In other car news... As I was trying to go visiting teaching with my companion this morning, I ran into the parking police (the same one, mind you) twice. The first time was right after I'd parked in front of Amy's house and he was marking my tire, because I could park there for 2 hours. Which I had to ask him how much time I had, because I don't know these things... And then, as we were getting ready to leave the lady's house we visited, he came around the corner of the street and pointed at my car (thank goodness we were outside!!!), because I was facing the wrong way for the side of the street on which I was parked. In other words, though my car wasn't in motion, it was going against the flow of traffic. Good grief. Who knew they were so strict? I guess it's only in the middle of town, though. The parking police don't come around where my grandparents live. Note to self: don't live in the middle of town. Thankfully the guy was nice enough to not give me a ticket and to let me know about it. Getting a ticket would have really sucked.

Also, check this out... It snowed overnight again. About an inch. Crazy! But, the roads were completely clear. I had snow on my car that I had to get off before I drove this morning. But the sun was out in the morning and it was a beautiful morning. The temperature started dropping around noon, though. Last I heard, we were at 36 degrees. Yikes! It was pretty warm for a while there :). Okay, so 55 isn't exactly warm. But it felt pretty good to me :).

So anyway, pretty much I just have worked all week and not gotten a whole lot done that I had hoped to get done. My mom had to be gone for a managers' meeting for like 3 days. So that was lame. But, she just got home, so that's good :). Oh! So on Monday, the funeral home was so understaffed that they had me be the receptionist for 45 minutes. Can I just say that was really stressful?!? I mean, I didn't know who would get what call. And then an older gentleman walked in and wanted a form to fill out an obituary. They don't really do forms anymore, since it's all online, but he wanted a form. So, I had to call my mom and get her to help him. Because I knew nothing. Not that they expected me to, of course. And they were so immensely grateful that I took over the phone lines until they could get what they needed to get done and then take them back over. And then, as it turns out, my boss has asked if I'd be opposed to working on Saturdays and doing the phones all day, that way the receptionist and the other lady who does the phones every other Saturday would be there Monday through Friday. It makes me nervous. I realize it's just answering the phone. But still... I get nervous about making a mistake ;). But, I'm going to do it. We will probably start that in April, from the sound of things.

Okay, so that is about it. Nothing super-dee-duperly exciting.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello Hila! How the heck are you?

I didn't realize that there was another state besides Cali that required front plates...really kinda retarded in my mind...

Nice to find your blog...my cousin Brent has a blog now, but you probably already know that. If not, you can find the link to it on my blogroll under 'cousins'.

Hope you are well!

Tarylyn said...

i'm sure you'll do fine :D

Heather said...

Have you seen the show Parking Wars that comes on A&E? A camera crew basically follows the parking authority people around, but it's very funny to see the public's reaction to them. The do a segment with the people who give tickets, the people who boot cars, the people who tow cars, and the people who work at the impound lot. It is filmed in Philadelphia, PA. There are some crazy people up there.

Christina said...

Well, Hila, if you need help getting the plates on let me know, Nick got ours on the front of our car without the kit so I'm sure he can get it on your car. I do agree though, it is retarded about having to have two plates on your vehicle. And good luck on the phones :).

Virginia said...

is the rest as funny as this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tpAcItmdSo

when i saw the doll part - i thought about those chuckie movies but they don't seem to be your style

Katherine Ronachert said...

will you answer the phone
"dunder mifflin, this is pam?"
please, oh please, just once?
:)

Katherine Ronachert said...

by the way the el said you should be able to put the plate to the side of the bumper (as in asymmetrical)... which might drive you absolutely mad, but will save the whole issue of a center placement.

Nilla said...

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to be trying to put it in the center. it's not required. And it won't drive me crazy. I don't even care if it looks crappy :). I just don't want a ticket! My issue is figuring out how to put it on there... As it is, I'll have to just use the top two holes, since attaching both will make it slanted...

juliebean said...

that is too funny. I am glad Florida does not require that. Good luck!! jon said bring it down here and he will do it for you. hee hee