Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gag Me With a Spoon

Okay, so out of boredom (though I don't know why I'm bored -- I have a great book I'm reading: Uglies, which I'm almost done reading, and I have a load of episodes of X-Files to watch since I'll have to return them to the library in the next week), I was looking at pictures on my blog from January 2009. My gosh I have gotten to be such a heifalump. Which is my version of a heifer and a huffalump (those freaky things from Winnie the Pooh) mixed together. And I'm thinking a heifalump can't be a pretty sight, based on the two things being combined there. I'm annoyed that it took me one year to gain a ton of weight. And even more annoyed that I am not disciplined enough to lose it again. I try to figure out how it is that I was able to lose weight without any effort at all right after my dicvorce. I used to think it was because I quit taking birth control pills. Apparently, if that was one of the factors, it wasn't the only one. Because, for the record, I'm not taking them now -- no reason to -- and I have managed to plump up nicely (or un-nicely, in my opinion). Which leads me to the consideration of my eating habits. And I have determined that a lot of it might have been that I was living on a strict budget and could only afford so much and had to make what I did buy stretch. Which meant I didn't snack just for the heck of it and I didn't buy junk (like bad-for-me sugar cereals and soda) because I really couldn't afford it, whereas now, I can, because I don't have rent and electricity to pay. And so I need to figure out a way to do that again -- and perhaps that way is finally moving out -- an urge I am feeling more and more and more. Also, I drank a lot more water -- because it was free. I have terrible habits that I need to break. I've been pretty active lately -- what with walking and doing my garden. But I also need to be more mindful of what I eat. And I need to have the willpower to not eat a doughnut at work for breakfast just because the boss brought them in and they are there. What a stupid reason to eat a doughnut. Ugh.

So there's my rant. It's full of disappointment in myself. Blechety blech blech.

Also... I planted 2 strawberry plants today and another pepper plant. I bought them at Wal-Mart yesterday. It seems I did not harden my plants properly. I was supposed to put them in direct sun for about an hour and then bring them in, then the next day put them out a little longer in the sun and bring them in, etc. And so, my tomato plants have gotten sunburn and windburn from the beautiful days we've enjoyed since I planted my garden. Many of the leaves turned white (with fright? -- if Brad read this blog, he'd understand that and laugh). The good news is that once new growth happens (and it still should, because most of them don't look dead), I can break off the white leaves and hopefully it'll all be good. I am learning by experience. Also, the sprinkler isn't working quite well, so I walk the sprinkler around the garden and set it down in a spot for about 5 minutes to let it soak the area and then pick it up and move it. The rain is supposed to return tonight and last all week. I'm fine with that -- free watering and no scorching sun for the week. Maybe my plants will have a breather ;).

Well, I'm going to go back to reading. And then watch another episode of X-Files before bed. Peace out, my homies ;).

3 comments:

jessica said...

The Garden looks great! And I hate that feeling too...of eating something because it's just sitting around. I actually have to make sure I never have anything sitting on the counters. I have no self control!

Twins

Katherine Ronachert said...

heifferlump... ha ha ha!

Jeni said...

Girl, I hear ya. Your struggles are my struggles. I have resurrected my fitness blog. Check it out. It's linked on my regular blog. Miss you and our Sunday afternoon visiting teaching marathons!