Monday, December 22, 2008

10 Inches

That's how much snow was on the ground by the time it stopped snowing. Well, roughly 10 inches. It's wild! Nilla Wafer, who basically has never experienced much of any kind of snow, moves to the Pacific Northwest where it doesn't really snow. And we get the worst weather they've had in nearly 20 years!!! How crazy is that!?!

Here was the measurement before the snow started falling on Sunday:
Photobucket

That means I've pretty much been having cabin fever. Except Christina and the girls came on Saturday and stayed until today. Mostly because Nick was going to work the weekend and there was a fear that they might lose power and Christina felt better about being here with the new baby and Desiree in the event they or even all of us were to lose power. We didn't lose power here, but Brad and Tarylyn lost power for 2 1/2 hours last night. And they live close to Christina. Of course, we had to go down the hill and meet Christina, Nick, and the babies at the bottom of the hill and carry everything up the hill. We have not wanted to try any cars on this hill so far.

Okay, so here are more things I've learned about snow and ice.

1. Okay, when you step on snow, the next day, that place where you stepped becomes ice. And as I learned before, ice is slippery (even if you're in tennis shoes and not heels), so you definitely don't want to step on the spots. But they look pretty cool. Check this out... and even the dog prints do the same:
Photobucket

2. Don't attempt driving a car up a steep hill when it is not properly equipped with snow tires and/or chains. Here's what ended up happening to my mom's car when she tried this (she missed hitting the home-owner's fence by just a bit, and ended up abandoning the car about 4 houses down from where we live, overnight):
Photobucket

3. You can sweep off your car:
Photobucket

4. It does look pretty when it snows. And just when you thought Thursday and Friday's snowfall was phenomenal, you get to see what happens when it snows more on Saturday evening and Sunday:
Photobucket

5. Your feet eventually become numb if they are enclosed in snow for a long time (and Desiree doesn't like snow that is this deep, can you tell from her facial expression?):
Photobucket

6. Desiree only thinks it's fun to get thrown and stuck in the snow two times. And then she's done with that:
Photobucket

7. Snowballs really do hurt:
Photobucket

8. But they don't taste bad. Yes, I know, and have always known, that it's ice... frozen water. But come on. I had to taste a snowball:
Photobucket

9. According to Christina, Emily looks like a frog in this picture (she was getting lotioned up):
Photobucket
Okay, so that wasn't really related to snow and ice.

10. On snow days, you just need to have snackies. So, I made Overnight Cinnamon rolls (consult your cookbooks, family), cheese olivettes (thanks, Elka, for putting the idea in my head), lush dessert (because we had the ingredients, so why not?)), and applie pie (because the apples had to be used). In our defense, we had a very healthy (and yummy) Garlic Vegetable Soup... also in the cookbook :). And for once, there isn't a picture associated with the food I mention! Will wonders never cease?

11. Perhaps most importantly... You're never too old to make your first snow angel :).
Photobucket

Want to know something I learned about winter weather about 8 years ago? I learned that the term is wind chill, not windshield. See, the first year I was anywhere that actually got cold enough to use the term wind chill (remember, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Panama, where the weather never changed, other than to be rainy or dry), I thought they were saying windshield and that the way they determined that was by touching the windshield of a car and whatever that glass registered was the temperature they were announcing. I had been in Alabama a good couple or so years before I realized what they were really saying. I guess I could blame in on the Southern accent, right? Hahahahaha.... Okay, if you know me, you know me thinking it was "windshield is so Nilla of me :).

*Okay, and Elka and Anna have guessed the movie quote correctly! *

(Anna, the previous thing up there was not a quote. I had just not been keeping up with the quote of the week thing, and I didn't know when I'd put up a new quote, so I wrote that I hoped my quote game would start again in the near future when I start watching the movies I own once again :). But your guess was pretty darn good, based on what I wrote! Sounds like a line from one of those movies!).

3 comments:

juliebean said...

THis post was funny. It made me laugh. I love ya girl, I wish I could be holed up there with ya, watching all the cool snow. We could learn the hard way together. :)

Katherine Ronachert said...

merry christmas! i'm glad everyone is doing well! enjoy your daddy!

the happy thomas family said...

so i just saw that you have a movie quote up on your blog... is it from it's a wonderful life? love! stacy