Friday, March 1, 2013

GD Free! Yipee!

I'm so excited!!  I got the results back from the glucose tolerance test I took this morning.  And all my ranges are completely within normal range!  Yay!  And not even on the high end of normal :).  This is beyond exciting for me :).  I would not have enjoyed counting carbs.  But even more importantly, I am thankful that it's good news for our growing baby.

I have to say, the test wasn't as awful as I had anticipated.  The drink they gave me was orange and, to me, tasted like a mix between an almost flat (and overly syrupped) orange soda and medicine.  I thought I was going to be getting a huge amount of this stuff, but it was less than 16 ounces, so I was pretty surprised about that.  I drank it fast -- mainly because I didn't want to extend my time there because I was drinking it slowly.  I will admit that it was feeling mildly burny on the way down toward the end.  But we got it down quickly :).  And the timer was on.  Of course, they drew my blood before-hand (after not eating since 10 last night).  I went out and read and waited for an hour and went back in for another blood draw.  Which was done in the same arm, because my veins in my right arm are small, deep, or both!  So yeah, had to get a third draw after the 2 hour mark (again in the same arm).  But it wasn't awful at all.  I also ran into Sylvia, who I used to work with at the County, while I was waiting for my prenatal vitamin refill.  That was a nice surprise :). 

I came back home, took a mini nap, and then headed to pick up a friend's kids to watch them for a couple of hours so she could attend a seminar.  Then it was off to do grocery shopping, and finally back home.  I was beat!  I usually don't get up at 7:15 in the morning these days ;)...  After going to sleep at 2 a.m. at least!  So yeah, I was tired!  And took another nap after getting all the cold stuff put away.  Haha...  And after I woke up, I checked my email and learned the grand news of no gestational diabetes!!!  I'm still pretty stoked about that.  Especially considering I made a whole bunch of these yesterday!

These are "everything bagels" that have parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder (and dried onion in the batter), sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and shredded cheddar cheese.  Yum!  These are supposed to be New York style bagels -- they are very chewy.  We also made garlic parmesan ones and plain ones.  The recipe is here (in case you feel so inclined).  I will say I probably won't make them again -- especially on my own.  I had a friend from church over and she made them with me (she has been making them for a while).  They are wonderfully delicious, but they take quite a bit of effort!  Haha...  And use up a lot of dishes.  Of course, we did make 2 double batches, because otherwise you only get 8!  I don't know... Maybe if I make 2 single batches in the future I might give it a go :).  They are really good.  I have the majority of them individually wrapped and frozen in the freezer.  Then I made almond poppy seed bread (one I made before from pinterest -- so good!).  I gave one loaf to Ani, since she came to help me with bagels and also gave me a bunch of poppy seeds (and those ain't cheap!).  Plus, now I have a loaf for us to eat :). 

And here is one of my projects... The one I mentioned last post.  Getting our 72-hour kits compiled.  Still a work in progress, but I picked up the majority of the food items today during grocery shopping.  I'm close to checking one whole category off the list :)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, LOVED the GD-free/refined bagels combo! You are so adorable, Hila, and I love how I can feel your happiness, sense of humor, and just overall wonderful personality through your writing :) And...you are putting me to shame with your 72 hour kit progress. I'll let you know if I folllow your example :)