Monday, October 11, 2010

Sometimes...

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.


3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Sometimes when you hit a wall and want to gouge out your eyes and scream "What did I do to deserve this!?!" the reminder comes unexpectedly. Like when you go to choir practice for the first time in 3 weeks (due to vacations and conferences) and find out the choir will be singing a song that has always touched your heart. And then finding out the choir director wants you to sing the soprano part in a quartet of the verse that feels particularly applicable to you. And yeah, it could be coincidence....

But I don't believe in coincidence.

So, be still my soul... thy God doth undertake to guide the future as He has the past... all now mysterious shall be bright at last.

3 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

i love this post. thank you so much for sharing.

i had a similar experience sunday, myself. to put it simply, i had 'slipped' in terms of those issues that i had mentioned to you the other day. slipped off the narrow ledge i was walking on. but for our practice hymn in relief society, we sang, 'master, the tempest is raging'. and i heard:

master, with anguish of spirit,
i bow in my grief today.
the depths of my sad heart are troubled.
oh, waken and save, i pray!
torrents of sin and of anguish,
sweep o'er my sinking soul.
and i perish! i perish! dear master.
oh, hasten, and take control.

and then ... i heard and felt:

master, the terror is over.
the elements sweetly rest.
earth's sun in the calm lake is mirrored,
and heaven's within my breast.
linger, o bless'd redeemer!
leave me alone no more.
and with joy i shall make the blest harbor,
and rest on the blissful shore.

he knows, hila. i know he does. when we've done all we can ... all we need do, is rely on him. love you ... so very much.

Katherine Ronachert said...

so did you make any decisions?

jessica said...

I LOVE that song! It's definitely one of my favorites.

Benny and Joon.