Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fame-ous Fun and More

For the record, the answer to the question (see previous post) is 42. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but that is the answer ;).

So today I woke up and it was really foggy. And it was really cold. By the time I was driving to the library, the temperature was still in the 40s. I think this means the growing season is over. Which is fine, because my tomato plants started rotting while I was in the deep South. So please excuse the pathetic brown things with red tomatoes hanging from them :). They are only my rotten tomato plants. Which are, as of today, down to only the tomatoes witch had no hope, because they, too, were rotting. Mostly green ones. But that's a shame. Oh well. I picked a plastic shopping bag full of tomatoes.
And because we had to figure out something to do with that many tomatoes, my mom and I had decided to make salsa. And let me tell you, it turned out fabulous! We used like half the hot pepper it called for (which came out of Sue's garden). And it is hot! And the more it sits, the hotter it's getting! Oh, and it only used 3 1/2 tomatoes. So yeah, we are having to come up with a different plan to use up the tomatoes! But below is the picture of our first batch of fresh tomato salsa! And so now my breath is oniony and garlicy. But that's okay. It is fabulous!
And to help you enjoy the following stories from the Nilla Life, you can listen to the theme song referred to in the blog title post by clicking here :).
So Lea's son does a lot of acting and singing. He has a lot of talent for it. And pretty much all summer, he spent a lot of his time rehearsing for his role as Joaquin in the play Fame. Well, it opened the weekend I was at Julie's, but Lea had comp tickets that could only be used the first 2 weekends of the play, so that meant she and I needed to go this past weekend so we could go for free. And so that's exactly what we did. We both worked on Saturday -- different shifts, so that was a bummer. But I worked and then ran errands to pick up all the ingredients for the Coca Cola Cake I made for dessert for our Marvelous Monday Meals! Came home, cut the grass (which was in desperate need of it), and then got a shower to get ready for our fun night. I met Lea at her house at 6, and we rode to The Big Apple Diner where I got a cheeseburger and a cherry coke (they make the best cherry cokes there) and we enjoyed good conversation.
We got the the venue for the play at about 7:15. We already had our tickets, so we were all ready to go in. And then we ran into this kid outside that does ballroom dancing at the same place Lea's son does. And he said he forgot his money to see the play, so Lea ended up paying for him to get in, which meant we had to stand in line for a good long while. And the kid was very polite. Very strange, but polite. And hilarious. During intermission, someone asked Lea if this kid was her other son, and she said, "No." But Jake (the kid) piped up and said, "I could be a son." Lea looked at him and said, "Don't push it." And we all laughed. And then Jake turned to the guy next to him on the other side (whom we didn't know at all and seemed to be there by himself) and said, "You could be my dad." Which made that guy laugh and roped him into conversation.
The play was really awesome. One character in particular was hilarious. Lea's son (Xavier) did a great job also. But his character wasn't meant to be a funny one. In fact, his character gets slapped in the face by the teacher for being rude. I'd go see it again -- and even pay for it this time! It was just so fun to see!
So, after the play, the whole cast went out to the lobby, so we went out and took a picture with Xavier: (Yes, that's really Lea's son. I know she doesn't look old enough to have a 15 year old son).
And then... Well okay, so the funny guy walked by us and Lea told me I should take a picture with him. I said, "Nah, that's okay." So Lea said, "Okay, well I'm going to come next week and I'm going to bring my camera and take a picture with him!" So I said, "Oh, well girl, if you're willing to do it with me, I will do it! I'm just not going to do it alone!" So she said, "Okay." And she motioned for him to come over. So apparently he pointed to himself and was like, Who, me? and nodded yes, so he came over. And so we got Jake to take this picture of us, after Lea asked him if he minded.
So afterwards, Lea said, "I'm sure that was strange for you." And he said, "No! It was really flattering! Thank you!" And he left and we were like, "Hahaha. Yeah right!" And it somehow turned out that I found out that Lea didn't know this kid! I thought she did! So that made it even funnier! And so we were laughing about him probably thinking it was weird to be taking a picture with 2 old ladies! So Lea and I went to the car while we waited for Xavier and Jake. Because as it turned out, Jake didn't even have a ride home. Which was a hilarious story in and of itself. Lea was like, "So how did your parents think you were going to get home?" And he said, "My parents are kind of like me. They are a little off some days." Hahaha. We laughed about that all the way to drop him off. That and the fact that the guy in the picture above actually was flattered that we wanted to take a picture with him! He went back to the dressing room and was telling people he got his picture taken! Hahaha. Lea was really specific when she asked Xavier: "Did he just say he got his picture taken? Or that he got his picture taken with two old ladies?" Hahaha. And then she asked if he knows she is Xavier's mom, and Xavier said no. It was so funny.
So yeah, we had a really fun night :). Full of great memories! And so we continue our motto: It's only fun when it's fun!

No comments: