Sunday, January 4, 2009

Snow Blows in the New Year

And so it snowed again today. It's supposed to turn to rain sometime in the night and pretty much be gone by the morning. Here's to hoping, because I'm totally planning on hanging out with Christina tomorrow.

So how did you spend your new year? I stayed up alone in the basement watching Fever Pitch on hulu. That's such a cute movie. It'd been years since I'd seen it. It's one I'd like to own. I'm a sucker for chick flicks. On New Year's Day, my mom and I went over to Brad and Tarylyn's, along with Christina, Desiree, and Emily. We spent the whole afternoon over there and played several games of Apples to Apples (which was hilarious!). And I made those bacon cheese mini appetizers, which got unfortunately browned in the oven, but were still edible. I just hate it when my food turns out darker than it should. And my mom made wassail. And it was a fun day and we laughed a lot. Tarylyn and Christina really enjoyed the game, and I look forward to playing it again. And later on we made S'mores. The plain way, Julie. We didn't get artsy ;).
Photobucket

I ended up staying the night at Brad and Tarylyn's, since I'd promised the kids I would have a sleepover with them at some point. Samuel slept on one end of the couch and I slept on the other end. It was his turn to do so, since Saria did last time. I sure do love these kids. Even when they wake me up early in the morning. I still love them. I pretty much spent the day over there and we watched movies. The day was a pretty day... sunny. Oh, I got a text message from a Southeastern Alabama phone number that I didn't recognize, and the only message in the text was another Southeastern Alabama phone number I didn't recognize. I don't return calls to numbers I don't know, so if you are reading this and you're the one who sent it, that's why I didn't call you back. Of course, chances are, it was nothing. Because I didn't get another one. Probably a "wrong number" or the such.

My mom and I ran errands on Saturday, and then today was church. Being that it was the first Sunday of the new year, we swapped times with the other ward and are now going to morning church, which I personally prefer. Probably because I've always done it it this way, and I tend to be a creature of habit. But anyway, so I'm happy with the new time :). I taught my first lesson in Relief Society and I was so nervous! But everyone said I did a really great job and that no one would have known it was my first lesson if I hadn't said it was. So yay! I was seriously nervous. And then, of course, it started snowing in the afternoon while my mom and I were doing laundry and watching Bones.

Oh, and check out this gift I got from Elka, Mrs. S, and my Aunt Hila! (My mom got a black pair with warm lining):
Photobucket
Okay, so I never thought I'd have a pair of these, because they really are rather odd-looking shoes. But I have a pair now. And they are quite comfortable. And I'm all about slip-on shoes. Especially ones you can wear with socks :).

So, that about sums up life for me. Oh, except on New Year's, when we were getting ready to head to Brad's, there was snowy slush on my car. Enough of it that I wanted to use the windshield wipers to clear it off. So, I learned a new lesson (one that should be pretty obvious, but as I learned it the hard way, perhaps I should share it here...). Make sure you close your car door before turning on the wipers to rid your windshield of the snow. Because otherwise it just pours into your car. Genius... Genius.

6 comments:

Virginia said...

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Fever Pitch: You should have let me know we could have watched together - I watched something but don't even remember what!

Did you try typing the number in a google search?

At least your wipers weren't frozen to the glass which generally rips them to shreds or worse yet burns up the motor!

Christina said...

Haha Hila you're hilarious. I love you. The movie quote is from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Arc.

Mrs. S said...

I lvoe apples to apples and the shoes look great! By the way...the movie is Indiana Jones...I don't know which one...I keep wating to say "And the Goblet of Fire" but I know that's wrong! that's harry potter.

the happy thomas family said...

i'm guessing indy: raiders of the lost ark for your movie quote. a similar snake comment seems to be a keepsake from all the films; however, i'm thinking that that is a direct quote from him to sallah in the first one...

Tarylyn said...

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Katherine Ronachert said...

love the socks! glad you liked the shoes!