Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Little Birdie Told Me...

...that today is someone's birthday!!! This person's favorite color is purple. She used to work at a library, which is where I met her. And she and I are challenged when it comes to finding Little Debbie cakes in the grocery store that used to be called Bruno's. She's the mom of one (and a half) girls :). She's seen a "trailer hotel" and she knows what "sockey players" are. She was once given the nickname Chunk (but only for a small moment in time) and has also been known to go by other aliases such as Juliebean and, more recently, Pregnant Princess. That's right... She's my best friend, and she's another year older :). (Julie, you go first!). Oh, and just a random example of my freakish memory (for your benefit, Julie): I officially met you 9 years ago tonight. Yes, that's right. It was my first night working in the Children's Room, you were up at the library for some reason, and you were turning 20. (How depressing, because that means I was 18). And I told you happy birthday, and politely turned down your offer for one of those Ferrero Rocher chocolates that you love and that someone gave you... What can I say? I was quiet and shy back then, and I was afraid you wouldn't like me :). Hahaha... If only we knew the fun that was to be had... Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIEBEAN!!!

I love getting off work early. Just thought I'd share that :).

And, amazingly, I have nothing fun to report. Actually, that's not all that amazing. It's very vaNILLA of me. Which is what I claimed to be the truth when I first started this blog: that my life is not prone to exciting events. And yet, somehow, I have managed to do an awful lot of fun stuff since September :). And even if it wasn't fun or interesting, I somehow mananged to make novel-length blog posts about nothing! So, why not try that again!?! While I was in Dothan for Thanksgiving, I pilfered through my parents' photo albums to find some pictures. I found some great ones. So maybe I should share a few :).

First of all, Brad and I were totally kids of the 80s. Check out this picture:
I want you to notice that Brad is holding a Smurf and I am holding a Monchichi. I loved that stupid doll. I think it was a monkey. I can remember wanting one so badly. Turns out that they made a comeback sometime around 2006. I know, because I bought myself one. It is currently packed in a box somewhere and will not be unpacked until I move to Washington. Otherwise I would have taken a current picture of me with my Monchichi. But anyway, the 80s were such a great decade.

And now for some comparisons... Check out this picture, circa 1990. Okay, it is hilarious for so many reasons. I don't think a single one of us has a decent look on our faces. I look very chubby in that picture. And notice how stiff I look. I look like I'm standing at attention!!! And Brad... I don't know what his facial expression says. But it's funny. And he looks like he's slouching. And look how short he is!!! Just barely taller than Christina, who was 3 years younger than he was (and, because it works this way, she still is 3 years younger :)). I guess he had not hit his growth spurt yet! And Christina... Ah, my sweet Christina. Can you tell she was a stinker ;)? Look at that "smile". Anyway, one year for Christmas, we each got one of these shirts. We used them as pajamas. We always thought it was hilarious that the sloth's scientific name was Bradypus (because it has Brad's name in it). I think this is how Brad eventually came to be called Bradymus. I think I geniusly changed the "p" to an "m". I still call him that from time to time, and his 6 year old daughter Saria thinks it is quite funny. One time she called him that... Yeah, kids listen more than you think...

Luckily for Brad, he did not always stay that short :). Here's what we look like 17 years later (oh my goodness, I cannot believe I just said, "17 years later..." Have I really lived long enough to be talking in those numbers???):

Okay, so I know this was not an exciting post. But I can't always make magic out of my boring life :)!!! So, hope you enjoyed the old pictures at any rate!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of the three of you. It is great! Love, Aunt Hila

juliebean said...

I am the birthday girl, ALL DAY! I got some ferro Roche chocolates for my birthday this year too. I have no memory of that day nine years ago. I trust you. :) That is a freakish, but it comes in handy for me. To be twenty again..............