Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Binder Recipe #6

 
Cookies-and-Cream Pudding Parfait
 
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies (about 8 cookies)
 
In a medium pan, warm milk and sugar over medium heat (do not boil), stirring until sugar dissolves.  In a small bowl, whisk together cream, egg and cornstarch.  Slowly whisk cream mixture into warm milk, whisking constantly.
 
Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of a spoon, 4 to 6 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and butter.  Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic directly onto surface of pudding.  Refrigerate until cold, 1 1/2 hours; pudding will thicken as it cools.
 
Divide half of pudding among 4 parfait glasses.  Sprinkle with half of cookies.  Repeat, layering with remaining pudding and cookies.
 
Recipe from allyou.com

Personal Notes:  I only had fat free milk on hand, so I used that (but still had the heavy cream).  I also used some regular oreos and some cookie dough oreos, just to change it up.  Perhaps because of the fat free milk, it took a little longer than 6 minutes before the pudding could coat the spoon -- probably 8 to 10 minutes.

Verdict:  Discard.  It wasn't what I was expecting.  I enjoyed making a home-made pudding, but wasn't as impressed with the results.  I can't put my finger on what I didn't like about it exactly, but I know I don't want to make it again.

No comments: