Friday, August 16, 2013

Fabulous (And Not So Fabulous) Firsts

So Lynnaea laughed for the first time on Wednesday.  It was the cutest thing!!  She spent about 2 minutes laughing and stopping -- while I played with her to get her to laugh :).  Blowing on her tummy, covering her face with an outfit and pulling it off and saying "boo!"  We haven't had anymore laughter since then, but I know this is just the beginning, just like with the smiling.  She did it once and then waited a couple days to do it more.  And now she smiles all the time.  So many fun things to look forward to!

She also has found her hands.  I noticed her staring at her fists on Sunday and intentionally bringing them to her mouth.  And since then, I've watched her be successful at grabbing her toys and bringing them to her mouth.  She has gotten really good at entertaining herself while I put her in her seat while I work on dinner or fold clothes. 

The not so great part of her finding her hands and sucking on them all the time?  The start of germies.  She has her first cold (unless it's nasty allergies...).  Oh my poor baby.  She started coughing yesterday, and as the day wore on, it was more often.  Then she woke up this morning with the congestion.  Her nose is still clear enough to breathe, but you can hear the congestion there too.  It's only a matter of time before it's clogged -- and won't that make for fun feedings?!?  Yuck.  Poor baby.  And I feel bad, because she probably got it from me somehow.  I'm the one who goes out into the world touching stuff and then I touch her stuff and her.  And while I don't intentionally touch stuff that is going to pass cold germs onto me and then onto my baby...  And while I try to wash my hands frequently...  It's amazing the way germs spread.  Maybe it was the credit card machine "pen" at the store....  Maybe it was the pen at the health department where I went to get her birth certificate....  Maybe it was the touch screen at the library self-checkout... 

All I know is that it may be some long days...  Welcome to mortality little Lynnaea.  There's some yucky stuff here amidst the fun stuff :(.  Poor baby girl.

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

Something I didn't know: don't use the nose sucker too much as it can actually increase congestion. Have fun :( remember that this too shall pass :)