Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Showered With Love

Okay, so I hope you're in the mood to see a lot of pictures.  Because There are a lot of them coming :).  Maybe I'll start with my 39 week photo, since that's today.  Hard to believe I'm due in one week!  And it seems my belly is growing by the day now.  And I'm pretty sure the baby has dropped.  I can eat more -- and it just looks lower to me.  And Jeremy was looking at me in church the other day and said that he thinks so too, because my shape has changed.  Haha... 
I still feel like this baby has been a mellow baby.  Granted, I don't have much to compare it to.  The last several days, though, baby has been more wiggly during the day.  I've determined that the swollen feet were a result of the heat mostly.  And I definitely get worn out easily these days.  I am getting lots of sleep, believe it or not.  Yes, I get up multiple times at night, but for the most part, I am able to drift back into sleep easily.  And I still get awesome sleep every morning after I get up to wish my sweetie a good day at work.  I have spurts of energy -- but then I get exhausted quickly.  So, I try to alternate my activity levels.  Which is why I am currently sitting on my bum writing a blog :).  I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.  And then I'll probably post again sometime this week.  I'm getting close to the end, and I want to do a post about the funny/interesting/weird things I've experienced the last 9 months.  Nothing too personal or disgusting, but just the funny little odd things that I've noticed :). 

So, on with the pictures and the showers! 

So my first baby shower was on Saturday, April 27th.  That was the church baby shower.  Basically, I had several friends wanting to do a baby shower for me.  Lea asked first (actually when I was pregnant the first time) and I'd told her "of course!"  And then our good friend asked.  I told her Lea had asked and her reply was, "Well, you can have two!"  I felt really awkward about that, but...  So Amalea headed up the church shower and had help from several fantastic ladies (pictured below with me):
On the left is my friend Christina, with whom I served in Primary up until January.  And Karen as well, who is on the far right.  Amalea is in blue next to me, and she is the one who set me and Jeremy up back in 2011.  That and the fact that we like her unique name are why if this baby is a girl, her middle name will be Amalea.  And then the other person is Kayla and she teaches one of our Primary classes and she is just awesome and crafty.  She did all the cloud decorations (which you will see shortly).

So doing a "theme" for a baby whose gender is unknown is a challenge I guess.  But they did a rain shower theme, and it was so cute!  Here are a couple pictures of the decorations and accents :).




It was all really cute.  Oh...  And it ended up being held at the church building because the number who attended ended up being too many for Amalea's house.  There were over 30 RSVPs and 24 people actually attended -- not including me.  And the food was taco salads and they were delicious :). 

Something I learned from my two showers:  when you don't have a known gender, people steer clear of clothes for the most part.  I think maybe because it's not as fun if you can't get the cutesie gender specific clothes?  As a result, we got a lot of baby gear that we will get a ton of use from!  With this baby and the (hopefully) subsequent ones.  I am only posting a couple more pictures -- some with present opening.  But later you'll get a view of all the gifts we've received (from the showers and else-wise).  It has been amazing.  We really have been showered with love. 

Oh, and by the way... I don't really like being in the spotlight with the whole gift opening thing.  I always get so hot and sweaty.  Blech.  And I feel like a dork. 



Also, it's hard to lean over with that big belly.  In case you wondered :).

The following week was the Baby Shower Lea threw for me.  Another awesome baby shower!  She did a great job and went with the idea that the baby is either a boy or a girl (of course), so she had blue and pink!  Cupcakes and punch!  So cute!  And not to mention the nacho bar.  Oh. my. goodness.  That was bomb.  Well, let me back up and start with the picture Jeremy and I took before I headed over to the baby shower :).  He's such a cutie -- even if he doesn't look at the camera half the time ;).
 Can you see how huge my belly is in this picture!?!  Haha
 Aww :).  One of my favorites :).
 Snack table (trail mix)
 Nacho bar and cupcakes!
Two types of punch :).  I liked the blue the best.



The baby shower at Lea's consisted of family and former co-workers.  And it lasted 3 hours!  It was a lot of fun -- I just felt bad that some people came from quite a distance and the shower didn't even end until 9 p.m.!!!  Here was the group of us (I cropped out in-laws, because they prefer not to be posted online), and Sylvia had to leave at 8 to pick up her grand-kids.  But otherwise this was everyone.
People were gone by about 9:40, and I knew I should head home.  But I was tired and just wanted to sit and relax.  Jeremy woke up at 10 (this was the day he had spent working on my mom's car and tilling the garden, so he took a nap while I was showered).  I wasn't home, so he texted.  Only I didn't have my phone on me.  And so by 10:30 he was worried about me, so he drove to Lea's.  Poor thing.  I felt bad about not getting back to him, but I was glad he went over and ate 2 plates of nachos :).  And then we sat and visited until after midnight.  But we had to get home, since the next day was church and I had some meetings in the morning. 

And now, you can see all the pictures of the gifts.  Categorized.  Because I'm silly like that ;).
 These are all our diapers and wipes (well, and we got an additional box since with newborn and size 1).

These are all the baby blankets, quilts,  and burp cloths we received.  Several are home-made and we just LOVE it!  One is all white -- perfect for blessing day :).

All the outfits:
 Well, and some I'd forgotten in the first shot!
These are Baby's toys.  Plus a couple more we have gotten since (and are therefore not pictured).  Elka... I want you to note the pink flamingo :).  Heehee.  This baby will be starting things out right!

Bathing/hygiene/wellness stuff.  You almost can't see the bathtub for all the stuff!
 Furniture-related stuff.  Changing table (from the funeral home peeps), pack and play, and sheets.
 Things for the feeding of baby.  Some of it is actually for me on the great nursing adventure.  Haha.
 The big miscellaneous baby items category.  Including Jeremy's gag gift from Lea -- Daddy's Diaper changing kit!  Haha... with goggles and gloves and a nose clip.
And the other two things that we got that aren't specifically "baby" related, but that we love :).  We have the perfect place to hang the scripture, and I think the basket will hold Baby's toys :).
So, we're still working on getting the nursery set up.  When it's finally done, I'll take a picture.  Don't expect great decorations.  You know I'm not fru fru.  Don't worry, though.  Baby has a little crib to sleep in by my side of the bed until he/she learns to roll over.  So Baby has somewhere to be until the nursery is completely ready. 

And I know this was a forever long post.  Sorry.  But these were two very lovely baby showers!  And I felt (and feel) overwhelmed with the love from everyone who came and shared their excitement with us as we get ready to welcome the baby :).  And we really did get some amazing gifts that have us really prepared for Baby :).  My last order of business is getting the stuff I need for nursing.  My biggest thing right now is a breast pump.  So any of you moms who nursed...  Did you get a pump?  If so, what brand?  I don't want one that breaks easily or causes severe pain.  And I'm still debating if I need one.  I pretty much plan to breastfeed exclusively, but some say it's nice to have a supply stashed for later when you want to go out and leave Baby with a sitter or just in case Jeremy wants to get to feed baby every once in a while.  So I'm debating...

5 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

You are so lovely. So! I am so excited for you! I will be sitting on the edge of my seat these next several days, and praying that the Mr./Miss arrives on time! I expect a text message, with a picture. Just saying. I can't wait for your visit, either ... I'm convinced that Miss Darcy and the newest Wood will be forever friends.

I consider you mine. And I love you.

Mitchell4 said...

Great post. I'm so glad you posted the gifts from the shower. I want to send something but I'm waiting till Baby Wood makes an appearance. Nursing is awesome. It's really hard at first (at least it was for me) with possibility of the milk supply not coming in as fast as you'd like. Stick with it. I've had to supplement here and there because mine lost to much weight before my milk came in. I pumped and pumped which let Dad and Grandma have a chance to feed them. No matter what you decide I know it'll be great. Good luck. I love the pictures. You look amazing.

Jeni said...

You need a Medela double electric breast pump. It is totally okay to buy them used (they are very expensive new, but you get what you pay for), you'll just need to get new tubing for them. They are the best, the best, the best. Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!

jessica said...

You look fabulous! What a great celebration with friends! I hope you and Heidi have babies on the same day. That would be so fun!

Unknown said...

I loved this post! And your showers were adorable! Both were wholly Pinterest-worthy. I miss you, Hila. I am SO happy and excited for you next week!!!