Monday, March 12, 2012

Best Date Ever!

I don't have a bed. I have been sleeping on an air mattress since about the end of October. I had been sleeping on my couch for about 3 weeks. But in my old age, my body said "No more!" and seriously, my back hurt so bad. I would be sitting at work, the phone would ring and I'd reach for it, and a pang of pain would shoot through me, and I'd grab my lower back and say, "ooo!" I felt really really really old. So I inflated my air mattress and have been sleeping on that ever since. It's kind of getting old. So, in light of tax season, I figured I wanted to buy myself a real mattress. So in light of that, Jeremy and I proceeded to have the best date ever.

So we started out by going to Panda Inn and ordering some Chinese food. That is a good Chinese place. Not seriously fatty and greasy. I ordered Szechwan Beef (was feeling spicy). Jeremy ordered Mu Shu Beef. It was way cool to watch the lady construct his Mu Shu Beef into the Chinese pancakes so they looked like burritos. But we also had dessert -- first. We went with the most exotic looking thing on the dessert menu, which was icy lichee. Haha... Jeremy is braver than I am. I go with the known. So here we are, enjoying our icy lichee before chowing down on our yummy dinner :). And my fortune cookie fortune? Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment. Jeremy and I got a little smile out of that :).
Aren't cell phone pictures top notch?!? I should have thought to take my camera. Especially for what came next. Well, we went shopping at Fred Meyer. Then we went mattress-hunting. We started at Ashley Home Furnishings. We got a run-down on how to tell which mattresses on the floor were ones they sell. So we went from bed to bed (including in the sleep spa area) and just relaxed on them to test them out. Foam. Plush. Firm. Plush Firm. Good grief! Who knew there were so many options!?! And how do you really pick one based on 3 minutes of laying on it? So we asked questions, took a business card, and went on our way. We saw Sleep Country USA. We pulled in. We got out of the car. The sales guy inside walked toward the door and I thought he was going to open it for us. How nice. Ummm... Or not... He quickly locked the door and unplugged the "open" sign. Haha... We laughed about that for the rest of the night. Guess where the mattress will not be purchased!

So we left empty-handed as far as mattresses are concerned. Oh well. One day. It's not vital. The air mattress isn't awful.

And I don't know why it was the best date ever. But we seriously had so much fun! Making new memories, laughing, smiling :). Gotta love it :).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Who locks the door on a potential sale? :) can we pretend we are gonna go out later and get wawa? Love ya!

Heather said...

I bought a memory foam mattress a few years ago, and I love it. I don't wake up stiff or with my back hurting anymore. I eventually want a sleep number bed. I ordered my memory foam from overstock.com. It came squished in a box. You have to lay it out and let it fully expand before you use it.

the happy thomas family said...

those time when you can't really remember the 'why' but you remember the 'feeling' always make for the best.

and aren't fortunes illuminating sometimes? in their own cliché way, they can be the words we need to hear and the nudge we need to feel. and it's nice to know that heavenly father even works in the realm of chinese food. no? ;)

love you. so.

jessica said...

I feel your pain. The floor has done me wrong one too many times...I have been shopping for a new mattress too and just opted for a memory foam topper. It isn't the most comfortable, but $150 was way cheaper than the $2500 they want for mattresses these days:)