Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco For Cinco De Mayo

In honor of Cinco de Mayo (during which time it doesn't look like I will be eating any cool Mexican food (though I do suppose I could swing by Taco Bell ;)...)), I figured I would list 5 things that have happened this week.

1. I have been invited to do a blind "triple date" on Friday the 13th. Possibly bowling. One of the guys in the ward has a brother who is coming up to decide if he wants to live here (he's an engineer), and so they are trying to set him up with various people. I haven't committed to going yet, but I probably will. I enjoy bowling, and I enjoy having fun, so I don't figure there is much to lose.

2. I went on a blind date on Tuesday. A mutual church friend set us up. Having never been on a blind date sort of thing before (what are the odds I'd end up with two of these practically back-to-back?), it was a bit awkward. Plus I was warned he was particularly shy. But it was nice -- he was nice (and has adorable dimples) and very gentlemanly, and if the weather cooperates, he offered to come by Saturday to help me till up the garden. Oh, and he offered to bring cow manure. Hahaha... And he chuckled after he said that, because who makes that sort of offer the first time you meet someone ;)? But we had talked about gardening a lot. And his family has quite a large acreage about 30 miles from here, and his dad has a cow. So... He is also an engineer. We went to Olive Garden, and I have to say I was disappointed in their food this time! The bread sticks were hard, the salad wasn't as tasty, and the soup I got didn't have what I'm pretty sure it used to have in it. But, truthfully, even though I am a foodie and adore food, I wasn't really there for the food. Oh, and coolest thing ever?!? Dude went to Panama in 2000! His brother served a mission there, so he went down when his brother finished his mission. How radically awesome is that!?!

3. I am staying at Bob's house again, keeping his wife company while Bob is out of town. Melanie is not big on staying home alone at night (apparently she won't go to sleep until daybreak and then only gets a couple of hours, because she has to get up for work). So she invited me to stay, and I was happy to do so.

4. I took Saria for her special Aunt Hila evening yesterday. We started out by seeing Rio in the movie theater. It was really cute! And we had the whole theater to ourselves! And I wasted money on nachos (with 2 extra cheese...), but Saria and I shared :). Nachos are my weakness, what can I say? We took a couple of pictures of the two of us in the theater, and when the movie ended, we danced up the aisle -- because no one was there to see it ;). I had to go first, because Saria wouldn't. But once I started shaking my bootie up the aisle, she joined the fun ;).

After the movie, we went to the church building, because I had an appointment. I have been extended a new calling (which I accepted) and will be released as the Sunday School teacher for ages 12 and 13 on Sunday. I'll tell you what the new calling is after it all is official on Sunday. It will be sad to say goodbye to my class, though. They are a pretty awesome group of teenagers.

Then we went to McDonald's. Because that's what Saria wanted to do, so she could play in the Play Place. (I really don't understand the attraction of the Play Place myself, but I'm also 30 instead of 10...). So, having filled my stomach with nacho cheese and chips, I opted out of McD's and just bought Saria her dinner. And, of course, we took a picture.
5. Remember I told you about Alpha Betta, our funeral home fish? What I didn't tell you was that Bob also said that we should name it Alpha because he would be the first fish to die in our care. And Bob was right. Alpha Betta, may he rest in peace, had a burial at sea. Though probably appropriate that he died in a funeral home, it would have been in bad form had we not removed him from the public view immediately. Hahaha. His death certificate listed cause of death as asphyxiation due to polluted fishbowl water with the underlying cause of over-feeding. (Okay, I made up the whole death certificate part myself...).

So there's my cinco. Espero que tengan un buen dia!

3 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

i want to hear about all these guys. and about your new calling (though that one can wait). i'm just potty training the boy today ... i could use a hila treat. :)

love you!

Katherine Ronachert said...

Hope you have a good day too! I kept meaning to text you all week about the dates. I'm lame! Love the pictures!!! And Saria looks a little like you! :)

jessica said...

Oh geez, a blind date on Friday the 13th?! I wish you the best!