Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Raining Men!

Well, okay, so it really isn't. But with the weather we've had the last few days, it wouldn't surprise me. Even so, have a listen here...

Well, I'm smack-dab at the beginning of a four-day weekend. And let me just say, that feels magnifico! I won't be waking up to an alarm in the morning. Though I may very well kill a dog if he does tomorrow what he has spent the last two mornings doing, which is sitting on the back of the couch, looking through the curtains out the window and barking constantly at the slightest movement of anything, including trees. My room is right directly below where he plays this game. I'm tempted to sew the curtains shut. Other than that, it's been a pretty swell week. I know that you like that I said swell. Which is actually a strange word to have once been used for "awesome" or "cool," now that I think about it. Because when I swell, it's not really cool. At least not in my mind. Anyway, I was just trying on the phrase for our soon-to-come party.

Christina, Nick, and the girls were sick pretty much all week, so I didn't end up watching them. And aside from the wacky weather we had today, there really hasn't been much to write home about. But you know me... I can always find a reason to drone on and on and on here. So here goes nothing ;).

Let's start with the weather. Today started out beautiful at my house. The sun was shining. Of course, I saw some dark clouds not far off, so I knew it would rain eventually. But on the way to the funeral home, a beautiful rainbow stretched widely across the sky with the dark clouds behind it. It was quite beautiful. I made it to the library without any rain falling. But then, when I was going to go do the post office run, I saw how dark it was outside, and I knew the bad weather would soon begin. As soon as I got in the car, a smattering of hail fell. And then it's like the heavens opened and dumped buckets full of hail, because it was everywhere! The picture below is a cell phone picture, so not the greatest quality. But you should get the idea... This was after about 1 minute of the hail storm that seemed to just come out of nowhere. It was crazy!Of course, just as quickly as it came, it left. And then it got sunny and melted most of the hail on the roads. And then it clouded over and poured rain again. And okay, not an Alabama storm. But a storm here is equivalent to a good Alabama rain, and that's what we had. We don't usually get that here. Still no thunder or lightning. But definitely rain. And it's been doing that on and off for the remainder of the day. At least it wasn't windy though. Yesterday we got the wind. I played minefield with the tree branches in the road on my back from the library. Hahaha.

So today, Lea gave me my pair of lucky quarters. Okay, so they aren't really lucky. But apparently a few months ago, Lea found a quarter somewhere. She stuck in her pocket and before long found another one. So then she gave the pair to one of her kids. A couple days later, she found another two quarters and asked her kid if he or she (can't remember if it was Xavier or Morgan) had lost the ones she gave them. They said no. So she put those in her pocket, carried them around a while, and then gave them to the other kid. And then she found another quarter and then another... Anyway, so she would carry them around and then give them to someone in the family. And then start all over. Well, today I got my quarters. Hahaha. And we just call them lucky quarters. So I carried them around in a pseudo-pocket today. I don't have real pockets on these pants, but there is a little slit in them maybe to look like a pocket? I don't know... It serves no real purpose. Except for today. Today it was my "quarter pouch." Hahaha. And frankly, there's a job for which I'm applying that I really would like to get. So having a couple lucky quarters can't hurt anything, right ;).

And since I definitely like to recount the stupider moments of my life... I have a new one for you. It happened yesterday at the library. Okay, so I'm out in the stacks. A guy comes up to me, after I'd noticed him going up and down a few aisles and asks me (while signing) where the deaf books are. Let me go ahead and tell everyone reading this right now that I do actually know the answer. I did when he asked. Except that, when he asked, he asked for the "deaf books." Okay, you want to know what image immediately popped into my head? Well, I'll get there. So I told him I wasn't sure (based on what I was thinking -- which was totally wrong, not on what he actually wanted), and I'd go find out from one of the people at the Information Desk. As I was asking the question, I heard what I was asking for (which was exactly what he asked for) and had my mental image, and it suddenly clicked. I'm a dummy. He wanted sign language books (these are in the 419s). But when he said "deaf," something translated wrong in the Nilla mind. And I pictured braille. So as I was saying to the librarian that he was looking for "deaf books," and I was sitting there picturing braille books, I thought, "Wait a minute... Deaf people don't need braille, because they can still see." Oh my... Some days I'm just not sure about myself ;). Anyway, we got him all squared away. And I admitted my own moment of duh. Because hey, it happens. And actually it's pretty funny. Look for this story in my memoirs. It's totally being included.

And while I'm on that streak... Here's another one for you. I was working at the desk at the library. A young man came up and asked to use the phone. Our policy is that we have to dial the number for them and then we hand over the phone. So I ask him the number as I dial it. Every time I'd try to dial the 4th number, the phone would beep and the screen would say illegal. I tried it twice. Well, I figured this meant it was a long-distance prefix, so I started to tell him that. And he goes, "Don't you have to dial 9 first?" Hahaha. Classic. In my defense, I don't work at the desk often, and when I do, I rarely get people asking to use the phone. Hahaha. I laughed and said, "Well, I sure am glad you know more about this than I do!" And we made his phone call.

Well, I'll be sort of incomunicada for a little while, at least as far as the blog world is concerned. Going to have a grand weekend. 80s flicks, a play, and a birthday party. I'm sure my next post will have pictures.

1 comment:

jessica said...

Lucky quarters...I'm a fan!! Seriously...if you want to get away from that weather, it's almost 80 right now and I'm contemplating the beach:)

Sixteen candles