Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hangin' With My Homies

So this has been such a fun and relaxing weekend. And since it turns out that Rebecca has wireless internet at her house, I can sit here on my laptop and blog away while watching Ace Ventura into the late hours of the night.

I woke up on Friday morning some time around 9:00. And then I stayed in my jammies and glasses until around 1. I worked on various things during the morning, including finishing up reading A Cricket in Times Square. Rebecca came and picked me up around 2 and we headed to her house and dropped off my stuff. We started watching Dumb and Dumber while waiting for the time to come to pick her dog up from the groomer's. So we gabbed like crazy and only caught a portion of the movie, really. But enough to laugh. Hahaha. Well, it turned out PetSmart was running an hour behind on the grooming, so we had to change our plans... So I got a shower and then got ready to go to the play. We went and got dinner first, and ate at a Mexican place I've never eaten at before. It's called 2 Margaritas. We both got the carne asada burrito. It was delicious. But man oh man was that a lot of food! Then we went to PetSmart and got her dog. The original plan was to hurry back to her house and drop of the dog, but she lives 30 minutes from the PetSmart and that wouldn't have given us enough time to get back in time for the play. So... We made the decision to just let him hang out in the car while we went into the play. So we headed to the high school, which I had only been to twice before and I'd never driven. So I was navigating and it was raining (Washington weather you know ;)), and at first I thought a church was the road to the school, and then we did see the right sign, so Rebecca got in the turn lane, and was trying to beat the oncoming traffic into the turn... And well, there was a median separating lanes coming out from the high school... And well, Rebecca didn't notice that. And so we drove up the wrong lane into oncoming traffic. Thank goodness there weren't many vehicles and we were all going slowly! I mean, we laughed so hard... And when the median finally ended (after what felt like forever), we hurried over into the correct lane.

Lea, Corene, and DeeDee arrived soon after Rebecca and I did. We all had to stand around waiting for the doors to open up, so we chatted a bit while we waited. The play was AWESOME. They did amazingly well, and we really enjoyed it! It's nice to do different things every now and then. Lea's son was the lead in the play. Rebecca was quite impressed, and like I said, they did a really great job. After the play, Rebecca took a picture of Lea, me, and Xavier.Rebecca and I headed back to her house, since we had the dog waiting in the car. We got back to her house, and I changed into my pajamas. Then we watched an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. One of the funniest episodes ever called "The Power of No." We laughed about that, and then we talked about everything and anything... A lot! We laughed a ton too, and stayed up until 2 in the morning! Then we finally tucked in and headed to bed for the night. She has gerbils, and the unfortunate thing about gerbils is that they are nocturnal. They were awake pretty much the whole time I was trying to sleep. At one point, I had incorporated their noises into my dream (I dreamed someone was drumming their fingers on the table), but then the noise kept happening and it woke me up and I realized it was the gerbils. Then at 6:50 in the morning, the cats started meowing, because they'd been locked in a room all night, since Rebecca forgot to let them out. So I got up and let them out. And then went back to sleep. But she and I were both up around 8:15, so we started talking again. We talked and talked until around 10:00 when we decided to drive to Starbucks in our pj's and get hot chocolate. Then we headed back to Rebecca's, and started watching Ghostbuster's 2. Before that was over, I got a shower to get ready for being gone the rest of the afternoon and also going to Bob's birthday party. So we headed out to run errands. We dropped her car off for an oil change at Jiffy Lube, then walked up to Wendy's and got lunch. When we got back to Jiffy Lube, they were still working on her car. So we stood outside waiting, and the guy who was helping to work on her car -- he was quite a cutie, frankly -- spent the remainder of the time flirting with us. And in the end, gave us a $10 discount telling us that today, we were military. Hahaha.

Then we headed toward the Goodwill. We were looking for Rebecca's outfit for the funeral home party. We took a few pictures to commemorate the trip. Here is Rebecca trying to fit on the outfit she really liked... Yeah, that didn't go so well.
I told her if she would try it on, though, that I'd try on this blue sparkly dress we saw hanging nearby. Yeah, that didn't go so well either... As you can tell by my facial expression... Not my most flattering picture ever.... But fair is fair. That's what I get for making a face when she snaps the picture!
And then we hit pay-dirt. Rebecca found this onesie jogging suit. Oh. My. Gosh. It was PERFECT!! She tried this on over her clothes, of course... Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness.
That Goodwill didn't have a lot of vintage stuff, so we ended up paying for Rebecca's jogging suit and headed over to Party City. There we tried on various sunglasses, looking for some specific types of "sunglasses/glasses" for my outfit. Found some Elton John-ish ones. But not exactly the look I was going for...
But then we found them... Pink lens glasses :). For $1.49. Rock on. Yay!
We went to the mall and hung out there for a while. Walked around it a couple of times. Went into several stores. Then headed to my house to pick up my mom, Sue, and Bob R. to go to the birthday party. With 5 adults in Rebecca's Audi... Yeah, it was a bit of a tight fit. But oh how we laughed and had fun! We ended up being like 30 minutes early for a surprise party... So we decided to drive over to 7/11 to kill some time. Not that you can kill much time in a 7/11. But we went ahead and signed Bob E's card, and talked some more and snapped this shot of us in the back seat. We had to scrunch so we were all in the picture, at least according to Rebecca who was taking the picture. We managed to kill about 10 minutes at the 7/11 and decided we'd go ahead and head over to the house. So while we were driving out of the parking lot, Rebecca says, "Hey, isn't that Bob's car?!?" We all look to our right, and see Bob's car at Subway (or as Sue called it... Safeway ;)). Well, we all looked except Bob who was noticing the car in front of us coming right toward us (making that twice in 2 days that Rebecca drove me into oncoming traffic...) and my mom who was looking at the oncoming car because she thought that was Bob's car! Anyway, Bob got Rebecca's attention in plenty of time to keep us out of harm's way. But we were pretty shocked at the odds that we would end up in the same parking lot as Bob on the night of his surprise birthday party! Good thing he didn't spot us, because we'd have been a dead giveaway!
We arrived at Bob's, parked behind a truck hoping Bob wouldn't noticed the car when he got there, then went to the door. His son opened the door and just kind of looked at us. I said, "Is there still a party?" And he smiled and said, "Yeah, but I don't recognize any of you..." So we all laughed and said, "We work with Bob at the funeral home." Well, of course Bob's wife knew all of us when we went into the kitchen, and she was seriously just tickled pink that we all had shown up to celebrate Bob. I gave Bob's wife my camera to try to snap pictures during the surprise, since they didn't have one handy. Apparently he'd been told about the party just moments before arriving, or else he wouldn't have gone home, since he was showing his sister and brother-in-law all around Washington State practically (they were in visiting from somewhere out East). But he still didn't know we were coming from work! He was pretty shocked when his wife pointed us out.
And here's most of us standing back after saying "Happy Birthday Bob!!!"
So we enjoyed some yummy finger foods, and visited with Bob and his wife and met all his kids and their spouses and his grand-daughter. Then Bob gave us the grand tour of his house and his property. And after a bit more gabbing in the kitchen, Bob started giving us the demonstration of his induction stove. It's really quite cool.... You have to use a magnetic pot or pan or else it won't work. But the burner itself doesn't get hot, and whatever is going on still manages to boil water in like 1 minute 20 seconds. He had a pot on the burner boiling, and a piece of ice on the same burner, centimeters away from the pot of boiling water, and the ice was not melting at all. It was pretty cool. And he was in 7th Heaven showing everyone. It was like QVC!
With all of us funeral home folk in the kitchen, I got one of Bob's daughter's to take our picture with Bob. So here it is... Me, Bob, Sue, Deb, Rebecca, and Bob. We really did have a lot of fun. But we left shortly after the picture to get home.
So we crammed back into Rebecca's car, got all buckled in -- which trust me, was quite a feat -- and headed home. And we laughed the whole way back home too. We did an illegal u-turn in the middle of the road trying to find our way back to the freeway. I don't even know what all we laughed about, but it was awesome fun. I swear the trip there and back was half the fun. It's just so great to work with some of the most hilarious and fun people ever. We just enjoy to be together and hang out, which is really nice. We are kind of like family in that crazy way.

So Rebecca and I dropped off my mom, Bob, and Sue, and then we went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few odds and ends. Then we got back to Rebecca's and at junk and watched Ace Ventura while I blogged. I haven't seen this movie in forever. So many hilarious movie quotes.

So tomorrow will be an early morning, since it's church. Rebecca is going to go with me to Sacrament and then I'll ride home with my mom. We aren't taking the girls since they've been so sick and still aren't 100% better, and we don't want to get anyone else sick. It's sad to not have the girls, but I know that's just the way it is...

So I guess I will turn in for the evening. The movie has ended, and my story's been told :). What a fun and relaxing weekend, even if we didn't end up doing all the movies we thought we would ;). Too many other great opportunities presented themselves, and I think we chose the better part anyway ;).

No comments: