Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thirtysomething

Well, I haven't aged a whole year in 3 weeks, even if it might feel like I have ;). Nah, I'm still only 30. But to "celebrate" the whole idea of turning 30, I decided to check out the tv series Thirtysomething from the library. Now, I didn't just randomly come up with this idea. I just happened to see one of the seasons come through my library for a hold request. And, though I hadn't actually watched the show in my youth (I mean, come on... it came out in 1987. Which means I was about 7), I do remember that it came on SCN a couple of times and I think my parents may have watched an episode or two. Why I remember anything about the show at all, I do not know. But I do know that I vividly remember seeing the opening credits on tv at least once.

So when I saw one of the DVD sets come through the library, I kind of wondered if I could identify with the characters in the show, now that we had fast-forwarded about 23 years. And so I put the first season on hold. At age 29. And I'm up to season 3 at age 30. I like the show. And yes, I do identify with the characters now, by the way. Almost all of them.

Because I know what it's like to deal with the issues that arise in an interfaith marriage.

And I know what it's like to watch your marriage fall apart.

And I know what it's like to be 30-something and single and have desires for marriage and motherhood and not know if those desires will ever be fulfilled.

And I know what it's like to make plans for a career and have those plans not work out quite as I planned.

And I know what it's like to be in my 30s and not quite feeling like an adult in some ways -- or certainly not feeling like I'm living like one!

And there are other issues on the show. Ones with which I can't exactly identify, but which I know exist. Like miscarriages. Or parenting. Or being a driven career-woman to the exclusion of almost all else.

And I laugh! Because when the show came out all those years ago and it caught my attention for a split second (long enough to have made a lasting impression), it held no interest for me at all! I was 6! I didn't even know those issues existed! But they existed for my parents. Not all, but some. And even those my parents didn't experience, they were aware of them. And now, the same can be said of me. How weird! When did I get old enough to identify with these characters? I was telling Lea this the other day, and I said, "I'll tell you what this means: it means I'm old!" Hahaha. Childhood is such an innocent time. And somehow, in 20+ years, I gained life experience, maturity, and knowledge so that I can now cope with the adult things. But sometimes... Sometimes I miss the innocence.

2 comments:

juliebean said...

that is so hilarious!!!!! I put those on my que about six months ago!!! I thought, man I bet I identify with those characters now, before I thought they were boring, but I bet since I am 32 I will so get it.... Great minds think alike...I cannot wait to see it now!

Paul said...

Loved this post. Hope that you are doing well and know that I think of you often :0)

Diana (Sister Porter)