Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Some of the Dumb Things I Do...

I don't know about you, but sometimes I do things that are classically dumb. But it's funny, so I'm cool with it. I enjoy a good laugh, even if it's because of something dumb I've done :).

There was the time I stuck my finger in real cheesecake at a restaurant because I thought it was plastic (and in a very authoritative and assured voice had told someone that it was...). You can read about that here.

And I know there are a million others. Sadly, my mental path is not guiding me very well down memory lane at the moment.

But here's a recent one for you...

So last Thursday I went to a little birthday celebration for my friend Wendy. Several ladies from church got together and we did a potluck thing and then played a game. This was a new game for me, I'd never heard of it before. But it was way fun! It's called Time's Up! Essentially, you get all these cards and you have to try to make your team members guess who is on the card. The name on the card might be historical, a musician, fictional, a sports person, etc. And the first round, you can say whatever you want (exept for the name and a few other rules) and your team can guess as many times as you want. But you can't pass. You have to stay on that card until your team guesses it or you run out of time. So it was my turn. We were moving along quite nicely. And then I get this card. Gracious alive! How is one to describe the person on the card if one doesn't know who that person is?!? So, I am grasping at straws. I know my clues are way off base, because I know for a fact that the person on the card isn't in any way related to the story of Icarus and the wings and flying to close to the sun and the wax on the wings melting and the boy falling and dying. (Moral of that story: listen to your parents, folks ;)). Anyway, I know that that has nothing to do with the name on the card. But it's all I can think of! I keep hoping they will hear the story about wings and melting from flying too close to the sun and think "Icarus!" And then I'm hoping they will make the jump from that name to the name on the card (which ends in 'arus'). Alas, it didn't happen. My time was up, so I had to pass the deck to the next team. Well, they get a fresh card, so the card I had went to the back of the pile of 20 cards each team was trying to "win." Well, when it got to be our turn again, that same card came up, but someone else on my team was reading the cards and trying to get us to name the person. So Heidi says, "Christ raised him from the dead!" And someone else on the team yells, "Lazarus!" And I was like, "Oh my gosh!" It was a proud moment for me... I felt like the biggest dummy on the planet (because this was the card I'd been struggling with earlier). Here I am hoping they will make a jump from Icarus to Lazarus! I'm in Greek legends and myths and the truth is it's Biblical! And I'm playing with a bunch of church ladies! Classic. So I totally 'fessed up to this. Because, though embarassing, it was funny. So that became the laugh of the night. Well, one of them. Because watching Wendy and Kristin act out "Cruella De Vil" without words was awesome. Listening to Wendy's mom whisper an answer in one round (as though we wouldn't hear it or it wouldn't count if it was wrong if it was whispered) was hilarious. And watching Crystal do charades to make us guess Stephen Hawking... Yeah, it was a fun night.

And for the record, I do know the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead. I just didn't connect the name on the card with that story. But I can assure you, I will never ever forget the whole thing for the rest of my life ;).

Aside from that sweet story...

Desiree was in the Primary Program on Sunday. She is so sweet. I cannot believe she is almost 6. It just doesn't seem right. She is such a sweet girl. There she was in front of the whole congregation, and she wasn't even scared. When I sing with the choir, she always waves at me from our pew. She gets so excited to see me up there. So this Sunday was her turn, and I waved at her :). Meanwhile Emily has mastered the word "no." And "gank you!"

1 comment:

juliebean said...

so you got the name lazarus... and could not think of anyone famous with that name??? hahaha.... your are crazy. The only lazarus I have ever heard of is in the bible... lol :)