Sunday, May 10, 2009

To All the Great Mothers I Know

Happy Mother's Day!!! I hope you have all had a special day :)!!! I am not going to list you all, because it would be one of my never-ending lists :). But I know each of you, and I am in awe of the great mothers you are :). Okay, so Happy Mother's Day!!!

I got my mom Baby Boom on DVD. Because it's a cute movie. And I know she'll probably cry in the same spots I did about a year and a half ago :).

Of course, I also bought myself Where the Heart Is. I love that movie. Love it.

Today, I forced myself to write a list of things I need to do. It helps me be accountable. I have crossed off several items. There are still some major ones that need doing. Like cleaning (de-cluttering) this room. I'll be honest. That one will probably happen last :). See, I'm blogging now. And that's item #1 on the list. I do have my priorities, you know :).

So, in the mail the other day, I got a letter to do a survey since I recently graduated from library school. In the letter was a crisp new $2 bill. Too cool. I'm not spending it. I'm saving it. I mean, how often do you see a $2 bill? And I don't know that I've ever seen one that is brand spankin' new! So, of course, I felt obligated to do the survey. Probably the point of the money. Eh... 15 minutes of my life wasn't much. Oh, and FYI -- that item wasn't on my list (doing the survey), but since I did the survey, I added it to my list, and then crossed it off. I'm a touch neurotic.

Wow. When I put my life in writing, it really doesn't look very exciting! But oh well.

Oh!! I am calling on my brain trust. Which includes you, if you are reading this. I need your help!! Julie and I are planning an 80s bash to end all 80s bashes. Or something like that. Because we are going to see the New Kids. But anyway, we thought it would be fun to do the food theme thing, if possible. So, anybody have any good ideas for foods that came out or were popular in the 80s? One place suggested Tang drink. I think we're going with that. My only thought was TAB soda. I've never had it, and I don't even know if I could find it for sale anywhere. But, it's what came to my mind. So anyway... Give me your feedback!!! I'm hoping to swing by Grocery Outlet at some point and see if they still have BooBerry cereal. Brad found some there about a month or so ago... Hmmmm... It was cheap, too. Okay, now I'm just blabbing. I'm done.

Oh, except for this... While searching for 80s food ideas, I came across this picture:

Finally proof that this stuff did exist!!! I'd been googling it for a while, but never got hits, as odd as that is. I remember one time, a couple days before the start of school, Brad, Christina, and I had to spend the day with my mom at Diablo Elementary School. She was working with the Special Education department at that time, and I was probably going into 5th or 6th grade. And we got commissary priveleges, which was a big deal. And so were tv dinner things. And so that day, as a treat for us, my mom bought us these, along with the milkshakes and hamburgers that went with them. I can't tell you if they were really good, though. I don't remember. But, to my 11 or 12-year old mind, I'm betting they were the best thing ever. And finding this picture and having proof of an awesome memory? Even better.

8 comments:

Kira =] said...

Tang is way much older than the 80s (my mom had it as a kid). But Nside wal-mart sells Tab in a 12 pack. I'd definitely try that. I'll ask Anna & JaNae about other stuff. And I have totally done something and written on the list just to cross it off. =]

juliebean said...

I also add things to my to do list that I have already done and cross them off immediately, it makes me feel as if I have accomplished more. :) we can be neurotic together.

I am going to the goodwill stores to check for Jelly bracelets and bright colored clothing, all 80s fasion!

Jenny said...

http://www.inthe80s.com/food/index_b.shtml

check out this site i found hila. it has a list from a-z of popular 80's foods or food items that came out in the 80's. yeah i know i am such a dork but, hey the internet you can look for almost anything

Katherine Ronachert said...

microwave dinners.
also, we gave our friend 50 $2 bills for his wedding. (he is a really, really good friend). it was alot of fun!

jessica said...

TV dinners are exactly what I remember. They always seemed to have mashed potatoes, brownie or apple crisp and chicken nuggets. ulck!

Katherine Ronachert said...

you guys should try ebay.
you can get alot theree!

Katherine Ronachert said...

by the way, i've heard the quote, but for the life of me i can't remember the name.
it has something to do with an alien or robot girl.
i think.

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

Um, yeah so your life is pretty much anything but boring (i.e., consider yourself lucky - I went to Wendy's last night in search of a twisted frosty, and we don't even have them here). And you are too kind, Hila! Your comment about my writing made me feel so good :)

Oh...and My Stepmother is an Alien? I hope that's right, I've always wanted to be on your blog for that.