Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Life and Times of the Nilla Wafer

Day-in, day-out... Life is full of surprises and twists and turns. And somehow I end up a week from my last blog post. On the up-side, at least I made a list of things to blog about :). Which should segue nicely into one of my points:

My lists. I'm so crazy. I made another list to keep me on track. And in case you were wondering, "clean room" became item one on the new list, since I didn't actually get to it last week. It remains one of the only 2 things left on my current list. And blogging is the other one. Hahahaha... Anyway. So, on my new list, one of my items was: make vacation list. I think I have issues. I put a list on a list. How classic is that? Oh, and by the way... As indicated previously, I have crossed that item off as having been accomplished :).

On Friday night, we went to the Temple. And since, on the way there, my sister and I had a lengthy text conversation (and I'm not a texter normally), which will end up being rather costly for me, I decided to get a text package for her phone and my phone. I guess I'm moving up in the world. I will only use it in certain circumstances, but I still prefer the talking. Just sometimes, you can't have a conversation out loud. So, Christina and I enjoyed our texting conversation. As I was adding this text package last night at Christina's work, I also learned that Alltell and Verizon people can now talk to each other for free!!! So now Julie and I can have our daily hour-long conversations if we want to :). Until my phone dies, of course. Which usually takes all of 10 minutes. I was also hoping to upgrade my phone last night. Sadly, I can only do it at this point by going to a Verizon store or online. But they don't have any good phones for free. And I am too cheap (frugal) to pay for it at all. So, I'll wait until July 29 when I can get the free upgrade at Christina's store. Maybe they'll have some good phones then. Actually, I want one with a full qwerty keypad for texting purposes. Because even if I only send a total of 1, I like the keyboard layout better than the number pad layout.

Sad news... Julie called me on Monday to tell me that NKOTB had cancelled their Tampa concert. It's not the only concert that got cancelled, but it's the one that mattered to us. To say we are slightly disappointed would be an understatement. But regardless, my ticket is bought, so I'm headed that way. And Julie and I will have a blast anyway, so not true tragedy. Would've been a great memory for she and I to share. But, life happens. So you just go with it.

Which leads me to my next topic... Our fabulous 80s Par-tay! I'm such a geek, I know. But anyway... I have gotten so many awesome comments and ideas from all sorts of sources!!! It ended up that we are going to branch out a little on our food theme. And you will totally get it when you see what we have so far. Oh, and keep in mind we won't be using all of these, but they are so creative, I have to add them all. And also, if you have any other ideas, pass them along!!! We like lots of options!!!

  • Cabbage Patch Kid rolls (maybe)
  • reese's pieces (they came out with E.T.)
  • TAB soda
  • Pretty in Pink lemonade
  • He-Manwich (probably won't use this one, since we don't know if anyone will eat it, but isn't it awesome???)
  • cheez-whiz in a can (have to investigate further about whether or not this came out in the 80s)
  • Raspberry Beret jell-o jigglers (possibly shaping the jigglers like a beret?)
  • Oreo truffle shuffle (from Goonies)
  • Bananarama (something with bananas...)
  • Cowabunga Pizza (from Ninja Turtles) (maybe we can make our own and cut pepperoni in fish shapes... Because I don't do anchovies)

These aren't our only options, of course. These are just additional things people have suggested, and I think they are great. It's going to be totally radically awesome. No doubt. And Julie and Alysha have their outfits and have gotten me some 80s accessories. I'm soooo excited.

I smashed my finger in my car door the other night. It didn't feel pretty. And it was pretty flat when I finally got it out. Imagine me standing there, with my middle finger trapped at the top corner of the car door, trying to use my mouth and my left hand to get my door-lock key so that I could unlock my car door, open it, and free my finger. OUCH. I have a nice bruise right around the knuckle of my middle finger on my right hand. It hurt just a little bit.

Scrubs had their series finale. Or I think they did. I hear rumors that they are going to try to keep the show running with a different cast. I probably won't watch it. I have to say, the way they ended the series was classic. Perfect. Everything the Nilla Wafer could want. It ended well, to say the least. And, I heard a song I'd never heard before. And I love the song. And so you should listen here. It's a very very pretty song. I'm a sucker for romance. Anyway, I loved Scrubs. I know it had gotten kind of raunchy. But I loved the show. I will miss it, and watching the finale was kind of bittersweet.

And finally... I went ahead and bit the bullet. I decided that I am, in fact, going to go to the CZ reunion this year. And so, I bought my ticket today for Atlanta. And I'll be going from July 1 to July 7. And I will see people I would have graduated with if I'd have stayed in Panama. And, I'll be making memories. And that's what life is all about, right? And who knows what's around the corner? I might be 8 months pregnant next year when reunion comes around and not have the opportunity to go. Hahahaha... Okay, so not a likely scenario, of course. Because I'd kind of have to have a quick romance and marriage. But... You get my point :). I have learned the value of grabbing life by the horns and the truth in carpe diem!

I'll be having a busy couple of weeks here, so don't be surprised if you don't see many blog posts... I'm actually having a vaneopolitan kind of life lately ;). Thanks, Jessica, for that ice cream flavor analogy!!! Hahaha.

9 comments:

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

Hila you are splendid! (I'm also reading your blog right now instead of the Book of Mormon...but I promise I'll stop procrastinating in a second!) I miss you, lovely, and I am super impressed with how creative your party foods are, and had to laugh at Oreo Truffle Shuffles. Anyway, I hope you know what a beautiful person you are, and impressive it is that you know how to spell "segue" (...because, I didn't).

Heather said...

Lists are a good thing. If I go to the store without a list, I forget most of what I went to get. When going on a trip, I start a list of stuff to take a week or so in advance. If I write something down, then I can quit thinking about it as much. For this reason, I keep a note pad and pen in my night stand. I can't go to sleep if my mind is racing about what I need to do the next day. If I write it down, then I can go to sleep.

Nilla said...

Yes, Heather... lists are a fabulous thing!!! I was discussing them with my friend Mary today at work.... Turns out she does the exact same things as I do with my lists!

Stefanie... I should tell you the story about how I learned how to spell "segue". It's a classic. You can ask Julie.

Jeni said...

Hey, that whole 8 months pregnant thing by this time next year could so totally happen. I'm living proof~! Glad to keep caught up on your life. They cancelled the NKOTB concert in Bham too..why?

Katherine Ronachert said...

you should totally do the multi colored socks thing. do you know what i'm talking about?
love ya!
hey and when are you going to fl?

juliebean said...

how about tMNT pizza rolls? Hahaha. appetizer food. I wonder if we could dye them green some how?

I am the last to knowyou are going to the reunion! whats up with that. I had to read it on the blog.... as much as we talk....shame shame

jessica said...

Ice cream...that's about all I'm good for...just kidding. Enjoy your 80s party. It looks like you have some great treats to cook up!...Yummo!

Katherine Ronachert said...

ok, don't laugh at me.
a couple days ago i was driving in the car and all of a sudden i thought, "wow! nilla should use pretty in pink lemonade!" i was so excited that i tried to find my phone (which was in my purse in the trunk) to let you know of my oh so brilliant idea. yeah, then i reread your blog (sure that it wasn't my genius alone that came up with this novel idea).
oh well.
:)
hope you're having a blast.

Anonymous said...

Hila, "Where the heart is" always a stellar choice. You did give me a hint earlier this week, (or last) I forget. P.S. I had another stint with ol' miss Natalie's name just last week while you were away. Hmmm, maybe just an incredible coincidence. P.P.S. I'm still owed a Segue explanation.

Guess who!?