Thursday, November 20, 2008

100 Things About Me -- Part 8 of 10

I was considering waxing philosophical. Or at least emptying my mind's musings. But eh... Let's just go with another list. And some highlights. Because there are many things that happen that I would like to remember one day.


71. I have seriously cold hands and feet. Yes, right now they are freezing (what do you expect in 30-something degree weather in the basement of the house?). For the record... I learned from my dad that it's even colder in Alabama! Hahahaha... Sweet irony! (I'm not laughing at most of you Alabamians... just my dad whose excuse for not moving here is because it's too cold ;) ). But even when it's not this cold, my hands and feet are really cold. I hear it's bad circulation. I don't know what it is. But sometimes it's not so cool. Like when I'm trying to get all snuggly warm in the comforter and my foot happens to touch my leg. And it's like ice! And I have a moment of shock from the cold. Brrr.
72. I was once a sci-fi nerd. When I was in 8th grade, Brad and I read some Star Wars books. You know... the ones written by authors who wanted to take the story in their own direction. Anyway, Brad and I would trade them off and we'd both read them and discuss them. (Insert NERD yell from Revenge of the Nerds here ;)).
73. I love(d) being barefoot. I say loved, because right now, I am never barefoot. One day... one day. But that's another story. However... I practically grew up barefoot. I can't really remember wearing shoes to play outside. I got my share of thorns and such in my feet. But, that didn't make me wear shoes more. Even when I was the Ashford librarian, I walked around with no shoes. Ah, such liberty!
74. Of course, one time I paid a dear price for the bare-foot thing. It was an afternoon, and nobody was living in the A-side of the duplex in which we lived. My friend Summer and I went back on the patio to the A-side and saw that there were broken beer bottles all over the patio. We carefully picked our ways to the grass on the other side. However, I had forgotten all about the glass when we were done playing and were about to go back to the front. And I jumped up onto the patio... and landed on a piece of glass. I can remember standing there crying while Summer ran next door to tell my parents. Ben came over and got me, and carried me to the house. I remember being sat on the counter with my foot in the sink as my mom washed out the cut and tried to see if there was glass in there. She didn't see any, but didn't want to miss anything. So, they bandaged me up and took me to the emergency room where I got x-rayed. No glass. It turned out that we later learned that Brad and his friend John (Summer's brother) had broken the bottles (which they found on the patio) on the patio. Boys...
75. I have decided that I must live in a green state. And I don't mean environmentally green. I need color in my life! When did I learn this? On my trip out West. Sorry to those of you who may love the midwest. They are great states that give us corn and wheat and all those staples. But they just aren't for me. They felt barren and desolate. And as I pondered this (and discussed it with Julie), I realized that it's because I've spent my whole life surrounded by green. Panama, is, of course, very tropical and green. Except during the last month or so of dry season when the grass turns brown. And Alabama was green. Thank goodness this part of Washington is also very green! I need green, people. That's all I know :).
76. Brown, dead grass (at least in Panama) is great for sliding down the hill on palm frond casings or cardboard. I've never tried it state-side. Perhaps I should, if I ever see brown, dry grass.
77. I cut my skin open above my eyebrow when I was a kid with a butter knife. Because I was tripped by a kid named Galen. Of course, I had been running with the butter knife. Apparently, I wasn't always a genius (totally kidding... ;)). I may have told this story before, but I searched my blog for it and didn't find it. So, sorry if it's repetitive.
78. I used to love to read books about ship disasters. The big ones. I read everything I could about the Titanic and the Lusitania, to name a few. The mysteries involved with the ships' sinkings, etc., fascinated me.
79. I'm kind of project-driven. I like to have a massive project to work on that requires me to sit and organize stuff. And I usually find a way to involve list-making :).
80. I don't waste calories on Mountain Huckleberry ice cream. Brad.

And in highlights :). Let's see... Upcoming highlights include: I'm supposed to go to see A Christmas Carol on Saturday with some girls I met in Institute. I'm also going to Relief Society Enrichment tomorrow night to work on quilts, since we aren't having a presidency meeting this week. I'm also going to work on a humanitarian aide project this Saturday, so that should be fun. And Michele has all the Twilight books that she is going to lend me! I guess I will get sucked back in once I finish the book I'm reading now. I figured having to wait for them to be available at the library would help me to read other things. But, I'm not passing up this opportunity to catch up :). Thanks, Michele!

Desiree has picked up the oh-so-cute "diva" thing where she sings into a crayon (that is supposed to be her microphone) as we sing "Ariel" songs. I don't know why, but you know the song "Part of Your World?" Well, she calls it "Look at These Pennies." It makes me smile every time.

Benjamin (Booder) likes me when I spin him around. And he finally said my name the other day while I was there. Little turkey. He likes to play the "I know you want me to say it, so I won't" game with me. Meanwhile, Saria and Samuel are cute as always. Saria is reading way above her age level. I recommended a book for her. Hopefully they have it at her library. I also love to hear Samuel and Desiree have conversations when they think we aren't listening. So serious. So intense. Gotta love them.

I love phone calls from friends :). And from cousins who are also my friends ;). Somehow they just lighten my mood and lift my spirit. Yay! I also like talking to my dad. I know I say that a lot, but it's true! Sometimes he knows just the right thing to say. And sometimes he just listens. And most of the time, he makes me laugh, and I make him laugh. And I mostly laugh because I can make him laugh :). I'm just proud he admitted that it was supposed to get into the 20's last night... He had to eat a little bit of crow on that one ;). That one and also that time he said he gave me my registro civil papers and then blamed me for losing them, which he "knew would happen." And then he called me the next day and admitted he'd found it in his hope chest... and then said that he'd kept it "because he knew I'd lose it if he gave it to me." Hahahahaha... I'll never let you live it down, Dad :).

And that about covers it. Oh, except I got my mom hooked on Fringe. She comes downstairs and says, "Want to watch another episode?" It's fun to share things like this with people.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

If you want to slide down brown grass come down to the part of California where Greg and I are during the summer. The fall and winter here is the rainey season. Once May hits here no rain untill October or November.

Tarylyn said...

yep they had the book and she bought it home with her, and we've been reading it together. (i read it to all the kids while they play/and or listen :D its a cute story so far

Virginia said...

. . . pine (or any evergreen) needles work well too . . . and thanks for introducing me to Fringe . . . I may never get this grading done!

Christina said...

Well Hila, I think it's safe to say that you're not gonna find dry brown grass up here....it's ALWAYS raining! :) But, in the off chance that you do, I'll join you to slide down that hill (which there are an abundance of up here). As always, I love you stories they really make me laugh, & you're lists too because they're really more like short stories. Love you