Monday, November 17, 2008

Fainting Spells

Nope, I haven't had any recently. But, once upon a time... back when I was in Tuscaloosa, I actually had a list of things that needed to be blogged :). And my fainting stories were on it. Yes, I'm crazy. Anyway... Though my life has been full, I wouldn't say it's been anything particularly exciting. I do the things I usually do: watch Desiree, occasionally hang out with Brad and Tarylyn (and introduce them to Arrested Development... a show I know Brad will appreciate, since he and I share a slightly-twisted sense of humor), check out the sales ads for grocery weekend to help get the best bang for our buck, have my weekly meltdown... Yeah, you know, the normal week. But in the interest of having a blog that is semi-updated and hopefully a little bit interesting... Here are a couple of memory lane stories for you. I figure, since I haven't done one of these in months, now's as good a time as any.

My first experience with fainting came at quite a young age, actually. And it was caused by yours truly :). See, I was in kindergarten. We were outside playing, probably for recess. The elementary school had a roof over the walkway going from the main part of the school down to the gym. Interspersed, holding up the tin roof, were huge green poles. (Also, there were hopscotch games painted on the cement that led down to the gym... Two separate hopscotch games). Anyway... So, I was running, being chased by several boys. Probably the last time that happened ;). I recall my teacher saying, "You guys be careful." And, as always, my mouth had a reply: "Oh, don't worry. We're fine." And then I looked behind me to see how close the boys were to catching me. And when I turned back around... WHAP! Right into a green metal pole. The next thing I remember is the coach coming toward me with an ice pack. And then I remember being carried to the office. And though I don't remember this part, my mom tells me that I was unhappy about her having to come pick me up early, because it was Friday, and I was supposed to get my treat for being good all week. Although... I don't know if I was particularly good, seeing as I didn't listen to the teacher when she told me to be careful. I'm pretty sure, though I was told that I would get the treat the following week, that I never actually got the treat. Obviously this hasn't hurt me much... But, thought I'd tell you that :). And also... I remember years later, when I was much older and cooler (ie 6th grade... the only year I was "cool"), all the cool kids would hang out near the hopscotch games and we could always smell the ojaldras smell coming from across the highway.

The other time I fainted (or passed out), wasn't really my fault. It wasn't anyone else's fault either. Just the mechanics of nature ;). So here's a lovely girl story for you. So you can know what it's like to be a poor teenage girl, in case you never were one. I was in 8th grade, so I guess I was around 14. And my wonderful monthly visitor arrived. And I was feeling highly cramptastic, but I had a test in Science in 5th period, so I had to go to school. But, my mom was going to pick me up after that. Too bad I had P.E. 3rd period. Let me just tell you, for those of you who may not know... When you feel like that, kicking around a soccer ball is not high on your list of desireable activities. So, my mom wrote me a note to sit out. I still had to dress out, though. So, out we all traipsed to the field. And I sat down on the bleachers. And then I layed down on the bleachers. And then, I remember the voices sounding far away, and I thought I'd fallen asleep, but I could still hear the voices... they just sounded far away. I think I passed out on some level from the cramping. Ugh. I almost passed out from the same thing one other time. I figure I was around 16 or so. I was in the little upstairs bathroom in the house in Panama. I was taking out my contacts for the night, standing in front of the sink and mirror. Everything started to turn black, little pinpricks at a time. I don't know why it occurred to me, but I thought to sit down, and suddenly, the blackness went away.

And there you have it. Some fainting spells from my lifetime. Also... it's not good to eat only a piece of cheese all day and then go on a bike-ride. Especially when you are out of shape. That can also result in fainting. I did that too ;).

4 comments:

Virginia said...

Ouch - great story although I don't consider fainting and being knocked out by a metal pole to being equivalent. I have fainted three times for classic first aid shock reasons like loss of blood. I have also been knocked senseless for a few but that is another story (in my opinion). Wish I were closer so I could hear you say all this!

Tarylyn said...

gosh, i haven't experienced anything like this, i haven't lived!!!

Heather said...

I don't think I have ever completely lost consciousness, but I've come pretty close. All of my episodes have occurred while in the shower. Amber is the one who passes out in our family. She scared us to death when she was about 6 months pregnant with Morgan. We were out shopping, and she passed out in the check out line.

Katherine Ronachert said...

next time at least eat some bread with your cheese!
loved the nilla stories!