Saturday, February 7, 2015

Heart in a Blender

So when I first told my mom about that song (well over a decade ago now), she said "Gross." 

True, it doesn't leave such a nice mental image:  heart in a blender.  But I loved that song years ago.  And I still like it.  And I felt it was somewhat applicable to this random post.

Which is not at all about what the song really is about.  But it is, usually, what goes through my head almost anytime I think the word "blender."  It's something I do frequently:  hear song lyrics in my head for something I hear or think. 

And blenders have been a topic of much conversation in our household lately.  Because our "old" blender (pictured above) pretty much bit the dust.  A few weeks back (maybe even months now), Jeremy was pureeing up a bunch of pumpkin from our garden.  We roast it, puree it, and then freeze it and I have it for pies and pumpkin bread, etc.  Well, our little 350-watt blender just didn't have the oomph anymore to keep up with our demands.  And we started smelling the motor.  And noticing it wasn't blending or pureeing very well anymore.

Then, last week, Lynnaea and I were going to enjoy a smoothie.  And somehow the gasket seal got sucked up into the jar (I was using a mason jar instead of the actual pitcher), and torn -- and that pretty much sealed the fate of the blender. 

This blender has been in my possession for almost 15 years.  And that's why I named this post as I did:  heart in a blender.  Because the more I live, the more I see how I personally (and possibly many others) attach emotional significance to things.  And I think that's mostly for the memories they hold.

I can remember I bought this blender at the very end of June in 2000 in Dothan.  I bought it at Wal-Mart.  And I figured it was just one more thing I would add to my "hope chest" for the "one day" when I was living on my own.  And I remember all this, because it was also the night I had my very first kiss.  (I don't count the one from pre-school ;)).  Yes, go ahead and do the math.  I was 19 years old.

And so, in a way, you could say a piece of me is in that blender -- my memories.  And so, as I sit on the cusp of throwing it out (at least the bottom part -- and the top part I'd actually already replaced.... I broke the plastic pitcher that came with it a year or two ago...), I acknowledge that I have attached a sentimental value to this blender. 

And I realize I could easily become a pack-rat for this very reason.  For I attach sentimental value to most things.  I put my heart in a blender...  In a camera...  a DVD...  And even a hot chocolate carafe set.

It's true that things are just things.  But, for me at least, it's also true that they are sometimes more.  And no, I won't be hanging on to the blender motor for the sake of memories.  That is part of why I recorded these thoughts here.  But it makes me to smile to look around me and see a house full of memories.  And it makes me smile to know that I'll make new memories with my new blender -- a new one in which to put my heart...  Starting with green smoothies ;).

No comments: