Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Most Honest Reflection

So a couple days ago, I had a revelation.  Not because it hadn't occurred to me before, mind you.  But because I saw the proof.

Proof that came, not in some huge gesture, but in a tiny small thing that made me realize:  Lynnaea watches everything I do.  She is learning from all I do.  And she will copy me.

And so I must ask myself:  what does she see?

For you see, she is my most honest reflection. 

I happened on Monday.  I was baking French Bread to store for summer (when I plan to avoid baking as much as possible).  The bread freezes well, so in an attempt to get ahead of the game, I'm baking on cool days and storing.  So we can eat good bread all summer long.  But not turn the house into an inferno. 

But I digress.  So I was baking French Bread.  And one of the steps is to do an egg wash.  Which leaves me with leftover egg.  So I decided Lynnaea and I would have scrambled eggs for lunch.  So we did.  I put her in her high chair and started getting out chunks of egg.  But, since they were still warm, I blew on them before putting them on her tray. 

And do you know what she started doing?  Blowing on the food she picked up.  Even if it was a cold piece of bread.

Two thoughts went through my head:  Isn't that so stinkin' cute!?!  and Hmmm.... I wonder what else she has observed me do and will copy...

Will Lynnaea grow up calling other drivers stupid or moron or idiot, because that's what I do?  Will she complain a lot, because that's what I do?  Will she think she needs a snack every time she goes into the kitchen, because that's what I do? 

It was just one of those moments that made me really realize that she is always watching me.  Always learning from me.  And made me ask myself:  what am I teaching her?  And more importantly:  what do I want to teach her? 

Because now is the time for me to pay attention.  To change the bad habits I don't want her to pick up. 

There are times I wish the only thing she'd copy is blowing on food (even if she doesn't know the reason for so doing).  Blowing on food is pretty harmless.  But there will be other things...  I will have opportunities to see myself without a filter.  Because my little girl will be a reflection, largely, of me.  Her mommy.  The person with whom she spends every day.  And she is watching.  And learning.  Even when I don't realize I'm teaching. 

But isn't she just such a cute little bug :)?

On Sundays, she is forced to resort to this for crawling...  Dresses just get in the way!  It cracks me up, though.

So sweet and cute in a pretty foofy dress for Mother's Day.

Such a happy little girl.

Here we are on my first Mother's Day.


Finally wearing some warm weather clothes...  By the way...  She took several steps yesterday.  But she still prefers to crawl.  For now.

Cheese!!

No comments: