Thursday, April 24, 2014

11 Months

Dear Lynnaea,

How is it possible we are now only one month away from your first birthday?  The time has gone so fast.  It actually astonishes me how quickly each day passes.  And those days keep adding up to weeks, months, and soon... a year.

It doesn't seem right, you know.  I marvel -- and exclaim to Daddy often, "Can you believe this is the same baby we brought home from the hospital!?!"  Because as you stand before us while we're sitting on the couch... It's hard for me to believe you are the same baby.  Even though I know you are :).  You came home so tiny -- so dependent on us -- so unable to do anything but sleep, cry, eat, and fill your diapers.  But all of that has changed.

Yes, you still need us.  But you have grown and developed so much!  We stand in amazement daily at your abilities, your growth.  And here's what you've done lately:

You stand on your own indefinitely.  You're great at balancing yourself and staying standing while clapping, holding objects, and squatting down to pick objects up (sometimes you steady yourself during this, though). 

You've recently started sticking your tongue out and running it across your upper lip while saying "lalalala."  You think it's funny when you do it, too.

You pretty much eat what Daddy and I eat.  Not with all the same spices, of course.  But other than the rice cereal we still have, you aren't eating any "baby food" anymore.  You started enjoying chicken breast this month (you enjoy it a lot), and you've decided you like potatoes after all!  (I think before, you just didn't care for the texture).  You've had them boiled, mashed, and roasted -- as well as in the form of gnocchi!  You still love pasta and celery and carrots when I pull them out of soups for you.  And you've been getting some ritz crackers.  You're well on your way to being an official member of Marvelous Monday Meals.  At this past Meal, you enjoyed the linguine (with some marinara sauce still on it) and pieces of homemade bread.  We left out the meatballs, but don't worry:  you'll be along for that soon.  We've also tried to avoid giving you desserts as well.  Just to keep you from being over-sugared too soon.

You laugh at so much, sweet girl.  It's like music to my ears. 

Oh and you know when you're into something you're not supposed to be!  (Not necessarily a time-out item, but something Mommy has told you is yucky.)  I don't know why, but you have an obsession with feet, socks, and shoes.  And Mommy tends to leave her shoes in the hallway after coming in the door...  I know when you've crawled down the hallway and gotten quiet, you're probably chewing on shoes.  So I head that way and as I round the corner, I spot you throwing the shoe down and crawling with great haste toward the door (though why you go that direction, I don't know).  It makes me laugh.  You don't get in trouble, but I always pick you up and tell you -- again -- that it's yucky.  And we both laugh a little on the way back to the living room. 

Oh... you discovered toilets have water in them this month too.  Yuck!  We now keep the toilet lid down (or at least we try to remember to).

And my favorite:  you know how to give hugs.  It started last week.  After your morning bottle, I sat you facing me and said, "Can Mommy have a hug?"  And you looked at me -- and laid your head on my shoulder and let me wrap my arms around you and snuggle you.  Oh sweet baby...  How I almost melted!  I tested it a couple more times just to make sure.  Yep... you know how to give hugs!  And you understand the word!

Makes me wonder what other words you understand.

Yes, Lynnaea, it's been a full month.  You grow and learn and amaze me on a daily basis.  I am continually humbled that Heavenly Father sent you to me.  That He blessed me with your wonderful presence.  That He blessed me to be your mommy.  I am so grateful to Him for that.  And so grateful to you, too.  You make life so happy.  So very happy.

I love you always.

Love Always,

Mommy



No comments: