Monday, May 21, 2012

Hodge Podge

I don't know why, but I love random posts.  So I'm doing one of those :).  This one will reach as far back as Easter.  Because I don't believe I shared this story, and it's hilarious.  Classic mom.

So we were at my grandmother's for Easter dinner.  My mom had gotten all the kids a couple of Easter things.  One of them was a bunny that "pooped" eggs, but also, when you pressed down on it, it would say, "Happy Easter!"  Well, that's what most of us heard.  Want to know what my mom thought it said?  She said to us, "Isn't it weird that that thing says "Hop the rooster!"  Oh. My. Goodness.  I laughed so hard.  We told her what it was really saying, and she laughed too.  (Meanwhile I was flashing back to comments of fig trees (not fake ones) and Rapper Shaker (as opposed to Tupac Shakur).  She kept saying, "But it really does sound like that!"  Okay, maybe so.  But considering it's an Easter bunny -- purchased for Easter...  I'm thinking "Happy Easter" would come to mind before "Hop the Rooster!"  Who's with me?  Haha.  I love my mom.  She keeps life interesting.

So my sister's husband just got a new job.  Part of that means he has a month of training.  At night.  When Christina is working some nights.  So my mom and I have been taking turns keeping the girls.  Jeremy is on swings right now, so the schedule actually works out perfectly, since I am staying up late for him to get home anyway :).  So last Thursday was the first night I had them.  I picked them up from the funeral home and then brought them to my house, because my visiting teachers were coming by for a bit.  Plus I wanted to get my shower.  (Showers are an important part of my life :)).  Emily found my ear plugs (they were necessary when I lived in the basement and could hear the tv through the ceiling/floor).  I use them now for the hour after I go to sleep and Jeremy is still up eating his dinner.  I'm a bit of a picky sleeper.  I need it dark and quiet ;).  Anyway, she thought they were awesome, so she wanted them in her ears.  And she wanted to make sure they were noticeable in the picture!  She's a cutie.  Oh!  When I picked her up at the funeral home, she said, "I'm so glad you came, Aunt Hiwa!"

And of course I needed a picture with my other sweet princess.  My Desiree is growing up so fast.  She's already 7.  Almost done with 1st grade.  Where has the time gone?  She told me all about how we would need to do exercise after we ate McDonald's, because that was fat.  She learned that in P.E.  She's precious.  So precious.  So loving. 
Anyway, we went to McDonald's after the visiting teaching visit (and my shower).  Mostly so they could play at the Play Place.  They play well together and always make a new friend.  And Desiree is reading so well!  She read a sign that I didn't realize she'd be able to read!  I can't remember what the word was that surprised me.  But wow.  So I took them home to their house, they got their bubble bath, and then I read them a story and put them to bed.  Christina was home shortly thereafter, and then I headed home.

I had them again on Friday.  This time I had Christina bring them to me (since I was off all day), and I cooked arroz con pollo while the girls played outside in my fenced (very small) back yard.  They do so well!  They make up fun games where the deck is their house, and over on the side of the house is the village and they are sisters -- but Desiree was also the mom.  I tried to upload a video of them playing outside.  But for some reason it didn't show up.  Anyway, Desiree is a really great big sister.  So when dinner was ready, we enjoyed some arroz con pollo while singing some of the songs they are learning in Primary this year.  We then made some chocolate strawberry banana smoothies, and then started cutting out the jello jigglers (or as Emily calls them "her jellos").  Here they are, cutting out their shapes.
They didn't eat all those, but they got to take them all home.  I kept the "scraps" and Jeremy and I have been snacking on them :).  Cherry limeade and cherry lemonade :).  So fun!  It was the first time I have ever made them :).  Then we snuggled on the couch, watched Garfield Halloween and some old family videos so they could see their mommy when she was a little toddler (who loved to run around in the buff -- the girls thought that was hilarious).  Jeremy got home from work early, and then Christina got here to pick up the girls a little after 10. 
And have you ever enjoyed 8 hours of church?  Haha...  Jeremy and I did that on Sunday.  Phew!  What a day!  I had a meeting at 10, then we had choir at 12 and choir at 5:15 and I had a meeting at 6.  And so we just decided to just stay rather than going back and forth.  A full day, but a good one.  So that's about it :).  Don't forget to hop the rooster ;)!

1 comment:

Kira =] said...

Oh, that is so funny- Hop the Rooster is going to be my new phrase at Easter!

Those girls are getting so big! Carlise turns 7 tomorrow. I still remember going & meeting Miss Desiree at the hospital. *sniff*