Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Eyes (Don't) Have It

Today I went to the eye doctor.  It's been a little over a year since I went last.  I'm not the best eye taker-carer :).  At least when it comes to scheduling eye appointments.  And also when it comes to disposing of my contacts every two months like I'm supposed to and using a new pair.  But the result of that is that I can fudge my contacts for another year and replace my glasses (which are 5 years old) now. 

And let me just say, glasses are pricey if you don't want to go with the el cheapos (like I did before, since I let my insurance cover my costly contacts).

Because here's a newsflash:  I'm blind as a bat.  Seriously, I've never had an eyecare professional comment on my poor eyesight.  Until today.  The eye tech (or whatever her official title was) said, "You are blind with that prescription!"  Ummm yeah.  So true.  But don't we all love to hear those things?  Anyway, I have some seriously bad myopia (or near-sightedness).  Plus an astigmatism.  Makes for pricey lenses.  Like in the neighborhood of $199 pricey.  Because I figured I'd go with the thinner lenses so I didn't have to feel like I was wearing bottle caps.  Even with my insurance, that still left me paying $48 (because the frames were in addition to the lenses).  Isn't grown up stuff fun?  Oh well.  If these last me another 5 years, it'll be worth it :).

I also got the joy of having my eyes dilated.  Always fun.  And then, for one of the tests (not the air puff.  I hate that one! -- Though I did have that one.  I got puffed in my left eye 3 times!!!) the doctor was like, "Do you see two eye charts?"  At first I thought I did, so I said yes.  Then he was like, "Let me know when they are side by side."  And then I was like, "Wait, I don't see two anymore."  I felt like an eyeball failure.  Haha.  But I think that was a good thing, because he was trying to test the strength of my eye muscles, and my eyes and brain pretty much determined that, regardless of what he was trying to accomplish, they were all going to work together and see just one image.  He ended up testing me another way, and said pretty much that:  that I have good eye muscles.  (I told him I've been lifting weights...).  At least my eyes got a pat on the back for something

I went walking with Sue this evening for the first time in 7 months.  Yes, I was a slacker.  Luckily the weather was nicer today than yesterday.  And by nicer, I mean more tolerable temperature-wise.  My dad says I'm never happy with the weather.  Probably true.  Nilla-land will have the temperature always be a balmy 67 and sunshine most days (with enough rain to let gardens and such grow).  Yesterday hit 80.  (Yes, I know some of my Alabama friends probably are mentally slapping me for whining about that).  This house was pretty warm yesterday.  I don't look forward to July and August.  But today was 71 and tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 60s.  So if we could just keep that trend, I can be comfortable :).

Tomorrow is Wednesday.  Yay!  That means I'm halfway through the week :).  Oh yeah, Jeremy is back on swing shift.  So I hang out at home and do my own thing.  Tonight I enjoyed popcorn and a smoothie.  I am loving making smoothies!  I throw in a banana, a few strawberries, some yogurt (vanilla or strawberry), some chocolate pudding mix, and some milk.  Blend.  And voila!  I think I've got it down to an art.  And it's pretty healthy (aside from the pudding mix, but sometimes I use honey and sometimes I use nothing).  And I felt like blogging, so I did.  Fun stuff, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Oklahoma family is mentally slapping you too

Anonymous said...

Got ya beat on the glasses Hilla my last pair cost us almost $130 that's what happens when one needs bifocals.
Love ya Michele

Kira =] said...

The puff of air one doesn't bother me, but I hate the field of vision test. I have to go every 6 months one for vision, the other is filed on my medical. boo. Yay for new glasses though!!