Tuesday, April 5, 2011

She's Got Legs!

So I woke up bright and early this morning. Mostly because I was anxious about my interview. There's a lot to prepare when you know you have an interview coming up. For one thing, you have to get yourself into a brand new pair of nylons (the all-the-way-up ones) without putting a run in them. That's an adventure right there. If you are not of the female persuasion, just take my word for it.

So I wore my interview suit into the funeral home, but opted to wear a white shirt underneath the jacket this time. But I wanted to make sure it didn't look too casual (the type of material could have it mistaken for a t-shirt, which it isn't), so I also took my nicer button-down shirt with me so that I could get my mom's opinion. Now keep in mind that I pretty much always wear pants, unless it's church. So pretty much nobody at the funeral home has ever seen me in anything but pants. I got a lot of compliments on my outfit. And right in the middle of the morning meeting, John said, "Hey! Hila has legs!" Which made everyone look at my legs. And I turned red. Because, well... It kind of made me super-self-conscious! Hahaha. And so, in honor of that comment, you have your song title post song :).

In the interest of not being on my feet all day in heels or getting anything on the white shirt... I opted to put a blue t-shirt over the white shirt and wore my red crocs to the library. I briefly considered just going to the interview like this...
And then thought better of it. Hahaha... Bob said, "You know, with those shoes and the skirt, it looks like you have clown feet! So true... Without my "flare" pants, which is what I usually wear, the crocs looked ginormous. So when Lea got to the library, I went up to the desk so she could check out my get-up (I'd already texted her telling her "wait til you see what I look like..."). She busted out laughing. And then we took a picture to commemorate the moment :).

So while pondering what I must look like to the average Joe Patron... It was hard not to laugh at what they might be thinking. I mean, everyone I work with knew I had an interview. But not the patrons. They were left up to their own imaginations to answer the question as to why the crazy lady was wearing a Coast Guard t-shirt (navy blue), a black nice skirt, nylons, and bright red Alabama Crimson Tide crocs... I came up with two movie quotes that I felt were hilariously appropriate for what may have been going through people's minds. Gold star if you know either or both! (And I adapted them to fit my gender, but in both cases, the actual quotes were referring to a "he.")

"Aw! [She] must be in special ed."
and...
"Well, uh, let's see... was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes. What? No [she's] not retarded!"

I love pop culture. There's a movie quote or a song for every occasion :).

In all seriousness, though... I didn't go to the interview that way. That was just for comfort and convenience at the library. Here's what I really looked like:
I didn't have my camera with me, so I used the funeral home camera to take the picture... I think it's not the best quality. This is like the 4th picture I've used from that camera, and each one has been blurry. And they were all taken by different people. So yeah, I think it's just a cheap camera. But you get the gist anyway.

So how was the interview? Not bad. Do I think I got the job? No idea. I'm not sweating it. It would be cool to get it. No doubt about that. But if it doesn't work out, I'll have other opportunities. I think it's pretty awesome I got to this point in the selection process, because if I had to take a stab at how many people initially applied for the position, I'd guess at between 75 and 100. I mean, they tested 40. The three ladies who interviewed me were very nice. But you know... I've been turned down for jobs before. So if that happens again, then it happens.

And because I'm sure you wanted to know... I'm pretty stoked as far as putting on that suit, because the last time I put it on, it was a tight fit. This time, I had so much room that my cell phone wouldn't stay in place! (When I don't have pockets, I use the waistband of whatever I'm wearing. Heehee :)).

Also, it has not escaped my attention that I am due my quarterly update about how my goals are going for the year... I'll get around to it sooner or later.

Oh and!!! I have a bunch of romaine lettuce seedlings!! Nothing else has started growing yet, but I remain hopeful :). If nothing else, I'll have lots of lettuce!

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Ooh, ooh, I finally know one! Steel Magnolias! Wouldn't be a good southern girl if I didn't know that one!!

Katherine Ronachert said...

fried green tomatoes... no, steal magnolias! :)

Katherine Ronachert said...

you can totally tell that you've lost weight!!! You look amazing! and hot!!! :)

Elizabeth said...

steel magnolias...love that line!

the happy thomas family said...

so very pretty! :)