Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm On Fire...

...or at least my mouth is. I can pretty much attest to the volcano part of Taco Bell's "volcano" menu. I feel like I just sucked on lava. But sometimes I just love some Taco Bell, and today was one of those days. And I don't care if they are being sued for advertising real beef when it's supposedly just a bunch of filler. It hasn't killed me yet. So I will keep eating my Taco Bell. After all, the theory is: whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So in a way, I'm actually helping myself. Hahaha. See, a smart woman can rationalize anything. (True, a smart woman probably wouldn't in this case, but I never said I was all that smart ;)). Anyway, listen here while you peruse the remainder of the current state of the Nilla Life. Also, I just watched that video for the song for the first time ever and it occurred to me that Bruce Springsteen sure does look like John Cusack in Say Anything. Weird.

So I filed my taxes this week. I am not getting anything exciting back, but at least I don't have to pay in. And at least it's done and over with for another year.

I'm debating starting a blog based on my Monday Meals. Any thoughts and opinions on that? It would include the recipes and the pictures, of course. And probably anecdotes from the evening or something to enhance it a bit. I already post the pictures and recipes on facebook. I get more comments from those pictures and recipes than I ever thought I would! It's kind of funny.

I finished watching My So-Called Life. And I wanted more, darn it! Unfortunately, that show was only on for one season. Boo. I have started the second season of Fringe now. I hear it got weird, so we'll see how long I last with it. But no worries, because I have the 4th and final season of Thirtysomething waiting for me at the library now. Amazing how a show that came out in your childhood and meant nothing to you then can really be something you find yourself identifying with.

I recently recommended the book Daddy Long Legs to my friend Kristin. I mentioned it a lot on this blog back in 2008. I love that book. I still talk about it. I asked Kristin if she had finished it, and she told me she had and that she loved it (and is about to start the sequel -- which I didn't know there was one, so guess what is getting added to my reading list...). So basically, if you haven't read it, you should. Especially if you like witty sarcastic female characters. Currently I am working on Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs. It always takes me a while to get into her books, and this is true this time also. I'm not quite 100 pages in yet, but I'm close, and it's finally starting to take off. I love to read, but I also love finishing a book so I can cross it off my list and move on to the next great adventure.

And lately, I have been thinking of a lot of "old" movies that I absolutely love! And I thought I'd include them here with a little clip (where available). These are all pre-1970, I believe, and they are some of the greatest movies I have ever seen. I highly recommend them. Some are black and white, and some are color. Definite proof that some of the oldies really are goodies :).

1. The Ghost Breakers. This is a Bob Hope movie. And the line in this clip here toward the end is definitely a great one. I never caught it before, but I laughed when I just saw it. I first saw this movie on TMC, and then I proceeded to buy it. Alas, I no longer own it. But I do have it on hold at the library! It is full of some really great lines and humor.

2. The Hallelujah Trail. Another classic. A Western in a lot of ways, believe it or not. But hilarious! I was probably between 10 and 12 the first time I watched it. My parents bought it on VHS (it is long enough that it required 2 of them...). You have four or 5 different groups of people all trying to deliver or prevent delivery or do something with these 40 wagons of whiskey. And what ensues is just plain awesome. "You'll forgive me if I don't get up." Hahahahaha. Watch the clip (it's actually the trailer). You'll laugh too.

3. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Again, I was young the first time I watched this. And again, it took up 2 VHS tapes. Another long one. But again, so worthwhile. The clip I included here is only one of a million I could have chosen. The beginning of the movie shows a car crash that is witnessed by 4 different carloads of people. All 4 of those cars pull off the road, and the men from each vehicle go down to the scene to try to help. The result is that they learn of a whole heap of money hidden under "A Big W." Thus begins a race to the money. If you have seen Rat Race, it's kind of like that, only better. And I liked Rat Race just fine. But this was even better. And it has a bunch of famous actors from back in the day, some of whom just cameo. Like the Three Stooges.

4. The Great Race. It's a long clip, but you won't regret it. This movie has literally been a part of my whole life. I was probably watching it since before I can even remember. We had it on betamax. Then VHS. Now I own it on DVD. It's the tale of good vs. evil as The Great Leslie and Professor Fate race from New York to Paris in cars. Full of wit, I pretty much promise it will be one of your favorites too, if you choose to try it out some time.

5. Kelly's Heroes. This one is a war movie. (And actually, this one might have been made in the 70s). I don't generally do a lot of war movies, but this one is one I've been watching for years. There are definitely humorous moments, though it does have its serious moments also. Several stars in this one as well, and the plot is that there are all these bars of gold in a bank behind German lines (set during WWII), and Kelly (Clint Eastwood) decides to rally his men -- with the help of some others -- to go in and get the gold. Additionally, it has one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. What's not to love?

6. The Private Eyes. Another one I've been watching for years (it came out the year of my birth, so also a "newbie"). Don Knotts and Tim Conway play two private detectives who are called in to solve the murders of a wealthy man and his wife. But the staff at the mansion keep turning up dead (and then their bodies disappear), as do the pigeons they keep trying to send off to "The Yard" to update them on the developments on the case.

7. Sorry, Wrong Number. Oh my gosh. This was one of the scariest movies I ever watched! We borrowed it from the library in Panama many many years ago. And it seriously freaked me out. Who needs blood, guts, and gore when you have a movie like this!?! It was plain spooky. No monsters, but somehow so much more terrifying because of that fact! This also came on Turner Classic Movies a few years back, and we recorded it. But I no longer have it :(. Anyway, the storyline is as follows: a rich woman who had been used to getting what she wanted, and is now essentially an invalid, overhears (through a mix-up at the phone company) a phone conversation about a murder... which turns out to be the planning of her own murder. This is a seriously suspenseful movie. So keep that in mind.

There are probably more. But that's what I came up with on the spot :). So, if you have Netflix or something and want to try out something new... Try out an oldie. Because those above will not disappoint!

5 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

my favorite of kr's was cross bones. i can't remember deadly decisions...

Katherine Ronachert said...

I dated a boy who LOVED kelly's heros! brings back memories of good ol ricks college. lol.

jessica said...

Did you ever watch, Better Off Ted? That was a fun show. It only lasted 2 seasons thanks to reality TV.

the happy thomas family said...

sandlot

the happy thomas family said...

yes to a new blog!

and yes to 'sorry, wrong number'. continues to freak me out to this day. i believe it was alfred hitchcock who said something along the lines of: never was there something more terrifying than a closed door.

yikes.