Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Blustery Birthday

I woke up and heard the wind howling outside this morning. Seriously howling. So I went outside while I was waiting for Lea to get here, and both the trash can (which we weigh down with a brick) and the recycle bin (which is pretty heavy itself) were in the driveway, having fallen over off the little spot where we keep them by the house. So that was pretty clear proof that it was really blowing. Well, that and the gusts that started whipping around me like crazy as I tried to pick everything up. I had set my book, my metal drinking bottle full of orange juice, and my purse on the top of my car. The wind blew the book open, the metal bottle with juice in it off my car, and my bookmark out of my book and onto the floor. And my hands were burning. Phew! What a windstorm!

Work went pretty quickly today, and there was plenty to do, so that is always nice. When I got home, my mom and I headed to the state park where Christina was planning to do the little shindig for Desiree... Well, as we got there, there was a downed power line, plus the park was closed! Arg! So we went to a different park. The kids had fun, despite the very very cold wind. The temperature was 42 degrees (it was a beautiful day, indeed) but with the wind chill, it felt like freezing! I think the adults cared more about this than the kids, though. And that's what matters most... that the kids had fun. In addition to her cousins, a little boy from Desiree's school class came to celebrate her birthday. Which really warmed my heart. Which probably sounds stupid. But love is funny... I love her, so I want her to have friends who come to celebrate her birthday, etc. That is important in a child's life...

Anyway, so here are a few pictures from the windy park. (By the way, we were not the only ones out in this cold wind... the park was full of kids and parents all bundled up so they could enjoy the sunshine, despite the cold. We were, however, the only ones with someone wearing flip flops and no socks: Christina... She said her feet were numb).

Emily getting pushed in the swing by Saria.
Desiree blowing out her candles:
Desiree opening her presents:
Good news for Hila: I found giant chewy sweettarts! At Walgreens no less! However, I wasted a buck at the dollar store buying these cookie and cream bites (kind of like the cookie dough bites). So in case you were wondering... Don't buy them.
And I got a Valentine package from April, Greg, Courntey, baby Bennett and the kitties! They are such wonderful people, and I miss them incredibly (and hope to meet Bennett soon!):

So anyway, it was a good day, and I plan to relax and read tonight :). Tomorrow I'll be making a "jelly roll" cake for Monday Meals. Vegetable will be broccoli and cauliflower au gratin. Cheese, glorious cheese! It makes everything better :).

3 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

cheese does make everything better. i thought of you the other day when i was watching 'rachael ray' ... i don't remember why she was making, but she was just dumping cheese in it. the audience started applauding and such, all because of the influence of cheese. and she just said, "I KNOW! i agree ... yes, i agree." yes ... cheese makes everything better.

love you.

Katherine Ronachert said...

the baseball movie... crap, what is the name!?! oh, sandlot!

jessica said...

I think you're set on the Sweettarts. You should hit up the after Valentine's Day sales and really stock up:)
Sand Lot