Saturday, January 15, 2011

White and Nerdy

Today was a pretty cool day. Nothing majorly awesome happened, so I'm not sure what makes it so awesome. Other than the fact that I listened to Weird Al Yankovic in my car all the way to work, which made me smile. Maybe that's the recipe to a great day: start it out with some Weird Al :). Hence the title of my post today. You can watch it/listen to it here. Definitely not my favorite Weird Al song. So I'm going to link a bunch of them in this post.

Perhaps it was the Weird Al that reminded me of the days years ago when we went with my mom to Diable Elementary School when she worked with the special ed department and had to help set up the classroom a few days before school started. We would hang out and spend the days there. Since she got military store priveleges with that job, she would usually reward us for having to be in school before school actually started (since we had to be with her) by getting us lunch at the commisary. Which was way exciting for us, since it was when the coolness of Microwave Magic food came out. Anyway, we were kids, you know. Easily bored. So the things we had for entertainment included playing with the toys there (though they were way below our ages), playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, and wheeling in the tv and VCR to watch Weird Al videos. The three I remember the most are Fat, Like a Surgeon, and Hey Ricky.

And maybe that is why I was already in memory lane mode at the library. Because I remembered this random fact about my life. I don't even know what elicited the memory. But I smiled at the memory. Oh wait, I think I do know! I was thinking about Weird Al songs. And this one came to mind (favorite line here is: "now I'm being chased by some irate velociraptors, well believe me, this has been one lousy day" (wouldn't that be the understatement of a lifetime ;)). And that made me think about the actual book Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, which I read for the first time in 7th grade. Which made me remember sitting in this office-type area on the second floor of A building. This is where students could make phone calls or whatever. I remember sitting in there waiting for my mom to pick me up, and I'd be reading Jurassic Park. And then I remembered that I was probably sitting there waiting, because that was the year I had joined the Craft Club. Which I think lends iself well to the title of this blog post anyway :), as though I needed help fitting into the White and Nerdy categories :). But anyway, I remember cross-stitching a gift at the craft club meetings for my friend Jessica that said "Old Friends" and had a doll, a bunny, and a bear on it. That was the year Jessica had moved away from Panama, and she and I had been the best of friends. And at that point in my life, my best friend moving away was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. Funny the things you remember.

So knowing Brad shares my love of Weird Al songs, I texted him with some of the more hilarious lines from the songs. Such as:
"Made from brontosaurus, baby, not moo cow!"
and
"Of course we stopped for more pickled wieners now and then."

So yeah. I went to work. I went to the grocery store. I went to a baby shower for a girl from church. I came home, and am currently waiting for the dough to rise on my first-ever attempt at homemade yeast rolls (wish me luck, because these are supposed to be for Monday Meals :)). Nothing was excitingly abnormal today. Except Weird Al. Whose name says it all :).

1 comment:

the happy thomas family said...

so GLAD to hear that you are having all these wonderful, fabulous days!

i LOVED carmen sandiego! i even had a computer game ... that i would probably still play if i had the disk. :)