Friday, January 7, 2011

Another Stupid Moment From the Nilla Life

So I have shared before that I have done some really really stupid things. Tonight was no exception. The real kicker is that this all happened because I was trying to prevent something else from happening -- again. And in the process, I made my car even more ghetto. I bet you had no idea that was possible... But it is.

So the last few days, the rain has returned. And so has my swimming pool floorboard. But at least it meant I didn't have to worry about my car freezing shut. So I haven't parked it below, partially beneath the carport. But tonight, the temperatures are supposed to get close enough to freezing that it's supposed to snow and rain. I didn't want to take any chances. So I went outside to move my car down. It was already dark outside. I opened the gates. One side I blocked open with a brick. The other side, I didn't. I thought it would stay open, since it usually does. The minute I got into my fogged-up car, I saw that the side of the gate on my driver's side had shut. But I thought, "Eh, I can nudge it open slowly with the rear of my car and it shouldn't be a problem." I just wanted to get this plan done and over with and get on with my evening. And so the plan was going along well. I backed down slowly (barely able to see through the fog and condensation clinging to all my windows (on the inside)) and I bumped the gate open. Success! Until it wasn't open wide enough to clear the side view mirror. And I didn't know this would really matter until it was too late. Something snagged. Badly. And I heard a horrible cracking sound. I thought it was the gate at first (it's wood). Oh no. Such a thing would have been far too much in my favor. Nope. I tore up my mirror. It was hanging by wires. Glass is cracked. It looked like this:
And Jon tells me I need to get two-part epoxy at a car parts store, so I will do that tomorrow. However, I need to go to work in the morning, so I have to make it work for me for a while. Enter duct tape. Not much I can do about the broken mirror itself. But at least it will stay inside it's little hole. And hopefully the apoxy will work. But any way you cut it: my car is officially even more ghetto than before. And if I don't go ahead and laugh about it, I will cry. Yes, it was my fault. I should have made sure the other side of the gate would stay open by finding a brick for it also. But I was impatient (that trait is starting to really cause me problems). The kicker is... If my doors wouldn't freeze shut, I wouldn't have been doing this to prevent the freeze and this wouldn't have happened.

But... We just keep moving on. Just one more story for my memoirs... Hahaha.

3 comments:

Mitchell4 said...

ohhhh Hila. You poor Woman. That sounds like something I would do. My heart goes out to you.

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh, hila. that is so, so funny!!! my mom did that twice, or is three times? must be in the name, just blame genetics! :) ghetttttooooo! :)

jessica said...

You know you could just move to San Diego and this would solve your freezing problems;)