Sunday, August 15, 2010

Shorts

It's hot. High temperature advisory has apparently been issued through tomorrow night. It's disgusting. But it's not humid. So at least there's that. But it's hot. And that is gross. These are the times that try Nilla's soul ;). Also the times when life in the basement is a good thing :). That and the fact that there is a/c upstairs. Woohoo!

My name was included on a referral list for a government job about an hour from here. A librarian position on an Army base. My hopes are not high, simply because I am sure there is steep competition. And the email I received (3.5 months after applying, mind you) indicated that the selectors do not have to choose names off the referral list on which my name resides. So there is obviously a chance there are other referral lists. And that's fine. I'm counting it a good thing that my name was passed to the next step, because it means I managed to decipher the code for applying for government jobs. At least in this case. I had to rewrite my resume to be in accordance with their format standards, etc etc. So to say I did that right is at least a boon.

I'm lacking the shopping gene held by so many members of the female part of the species. Seriously. Grocery shopping, for whatever reason, doesn't usually fall into this category. But other types of shopping do. Especially in places like Lowe's or Target. I go, get what I need, and leave. I do not browse. And wo be unto the soul who accompanies me to such a store and then has the audacity to want to browse things that peak their interest (and are of no interest whatsoever to me). I lose my patience -- and fast. And even faster when I'm really really tired. I'm a horrible person sometimes. I know this. Hahaha. I am working on it.

There is a grocery store here called Grocery Outlet. I love that place. I just wish it wasn't on the East side of town. Which is like 15 minutes away. But when everything is generally within 5 minutes, those extra 10 seem interminable. Yes Julie, I know you live 20 minutes away from most civilization (so I should stop whining). All the more reason you should get stationed out here :). You will be close to everything! Including the Nilla :). But anyway, it's kind of like Big Lots for groceries. Close-out type stuff. So their selection has a pretty decent turnover and it's like a treasure hunt. You never know what goodies you'll find. Last week I found these Edwards brand desserts that come with 2 desserts per pack. There's the brownie kind and the chocolate chip cookie kind. You cook that in the microwave for 55 seconds. Let it cool for a minute. Top it with the mini-chocolate chip topped ice cream (also in the package) and eat. It's phenomenal. And each box is only 50 cents. Yeah. Talk about a bargain! So I went back on Friday and stocked up! And got a few boxes for Alligator Bob and his wife and also Rebecca and her hubby. I spent $5.50. And based on manufacturer's suggested retail price... I saved over $38. Hahahaha. It was awesome. I so love a good deal.

And if it seems weird to have that paragraph directly below the one describing my bad shopping attitude in other instances... Yeah, the irony isn't lost on me either. Oh irony, how I love thee.

And in spite of the paragraph that oohs and aahs over the fabulousness of a dessert that cannot possibly be good for you (because it's not), I do continue to lose weight (more irony). Which makes me happy. I'm down 10 pounds from where I was in October. And I hope to keep up the losing streak. Tomorrow Lea and I are planning to try Zumba. Hopefully that happens. We shall see. Because it's really too hot to walk.

Still no ripe tomatoes. I tended my garden quite intensely yesterday. And sweated a lot in the process. Because it was hot yesterday too. But I cut back some of the acorn squash leaves. I hoed and pulled all the grass on one half of the garden. It seems the cucumbers might be reaching the end of their productivity. I have only 5 out there growing right now, and they still have a couple of days before they are ready to pick. So, there's that.

We are planning a back-to-school themed party for next weekend. It will be fun.

I will be house-sitting again from Tuesday until the day my mom and I go on our Oregon Coast trip (Goonies house, here I come!).

Tuesday marks 6 months that I've been at my library job. This means I can finally use my annual leave. So far, the best thing to come out of it was my cool-awesome friendship with Lea. Well, that and the insurance. I'm thankful for that. Just wish it could be a little more fun. But then, it is only fun when it's fun....

Well, I'm off to eat some chicken salad sandwich for dinner. Something cold. It's too hot to cook.

Did I mention it's hot?

2 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

"But it's not humid. So at least there's that."

ugh. gag me. i HATE it. humidity is running rampant here ... so consider yourself lucky! we can't wait for fall! love you so!

juliebean said...

haha... you are not into the hot weather I take it. And yeah, that whole.."it is like 15 minutes away" kills me.... seriously.

Love ya!
Julie