Friday, September 26, 2008

Feeling a Bit Daunted

Okay, so I heard back from Seattle Public and will be going for my pre-interview on the 2nd of October (which, though it sounds like it should be eons away, is now less than one week away! Where the heck did September go?!?!). Let me just say I feel daunted. I will be interviewing to qualify for all three librarian positions: Adult Services, Young Adult Services, and Children's Services. In order to qualify for YA, I have to present a 5-minute book talk. No big problem there. In order to qualify for Children's, I have to present a 5-minute story. I was unclear on what they meant by story, so I emailed them. Could I read aloud? Or did this have to be me telling a story without a book? Basically, the answer is that there are no restrictions, but that I should expect the interviewers to respond as children if I request it. What!?! I'm not really sure what that even means. Either way... I'm going with reading a story. Why? Because the other way would make me even more nervous! So, I called my trusty and wonderful friend Kristin who is the Children's Librarian at HLML. She's awesome, people. If you don't know her, just trust me. She is awesome. She suggested several titles. I was only able to find 2 of the ones she mentioned and then another by the same author that she didn't mention. Then I took them to Brad's house and used Samuel and Saria as my guinea pigs. I read to them and let them tell me which one they liked best. So, I will be reading aloud Dooby Dooby Moo by Doreen Cronin. Really cute stories if you are looking for something cute for kids ages 3 to about 8. So thank you to Kristin!!! You are wonderful!

In other interesting news... While I was in the library, I spoke briefly with the Children's Librarian. I mentioned why I'm getting the books, and she perked up and ended up telling me that within the next 2 months they will be posting a position for a Teen Services librarian here in this town. The downside is that it's only part-time. Apparently they are creating the position. And trust me, they need it badly. I went into the teen section to select a book to read and on which to write a book-talk for the interview. Their selection is really awful. I was very surprised. Of course, I hope to get a full-time job. And I certainly hope to get one before 2 months from now! But, it's always good to know these things, and I thought it was most excellent (to quote Bill & Ted) that she would tell me something like that. I guess we just see what happens. I know the right thing will come along, so I'm not really sweating it. I just apply for the jobs as I find them.

Also while at Brad and Tarylyn's, we went outside and picked wild grapes that grow in their yard. They are edible, though they taste very strange. (Well, I assume this is true since I've eaten several over the last month and have not died yet... I keep eating them to see if they taste more like "real" grapes.) Nothing like what a grape should taste like in my mind :). But, we are going to turn them into grape jelly. Because we can (can) and I love doing this stuff! Here's to hoping they will taste less sour when we add the 7 cups of sugar per 4 cups of grape juice. Of course we are also going to be making applesauce and apple butter tomorrow. Along with canning the blueberries for blueberry cobbler stuff. Christina is going to go over and help too. It will be very fun, if you ask me :).

Oh, and also while at Brad and Tarylyn's, we watched more episodes of The Office. Elka... It's hilarious. Michael gets on my nerves. He's such an idiot. But then that is what makes it so funny. Brad lent me the rest of season 2, so I'll be watching some of those after I finish this blog. I figure I need to play catch-up so I know what's going on rather than just start in on the new season. And since Brad has them on DVD, I get to do just that. I have watched through the one where Michael cooked his foot on his George Formann grill and Dwight got a concussion. Oh my gosh I laugh so hard in some of these episodes.

Oh, and for those of you wondering... I'm still working on reading The Name of the Rose. It's finally starting to pick up. It took a little while to get into it, because it has a lot of descriptions. But now that I'm about 170 pages into it (and I have a very long way to go!), I'm starting to pick up speed. It just seems like I never have much time to read. And then I end up watching episodes of the Office when I do ;). Of course, I'll have to stop on that book until I read Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I have to do a booktalk on it before Thursday. Hopefully it will be a good read. I'm pretty sure that book is on my list of books I want to read at some point in my life (the list that always gets longer and longer and longer!). I don't have that list easily accessible at this juncture, as it is packed in my nightstand drawer in the garage. Although... If I were to get a job in Seattle, I wouldn't move there. So I would have an hour commute via the ferry. I'd say that's good reading time!

Oh! Went to my first night of Institute here. The teacher is very different from my last teacher in Tuscaloosa, but I still learned a lot. We are studying the New Testament this year. It seems as though sometimes there are little nuggets meant just for me in some lessons. I think I will enjoy this class and learn a lot, as I have the past 2 years. Annie, you'll have to tell everyone that I even used my Alabama sweater already! Wednesday was drizzly and cold. It never got out of the 50s. I figure the 4th floor will enjoy knowing I'm already making good use of the good-bye gift :). Of course, today cleared up nicely and was perfect weather this afternoon. And I'll tell you what I have noticed: I sleep the best when I'm snuggled up under comforters and blankets because it's cold! I get such wonderful sleep these days! Although my tootsies are like ice cubes, even under the blankets, for quite a while. But eventually they warm up nicely :).

Well, I'm off to watch some of The Office. Perhaps I'll post pictures of our canning joys tomorrow. We'll see how I feel about it. I know my mom and I are going to go to the General Relief Society Broadcast. But eventually there shall be pictures. Because you know me... I'm a picture fanatic (or fool... Brad would vote the latter).

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

awesome!
why didn't you choose twilight? it's ever so popular???
;)
enjoy your day! i'm quizzing (catching up) and studying for an exam on monday. also, i'm baking for fundraising tonight, so i'll only be able to attend like 30 minutes of the broadcast, which is better than nothing... and by the way, i found an excellent recipe for apple cookies and pumpkin, very seasonal.

juliebean said...

a whole blog without a pic? what is up with that? BTW, I have never seen the office, but it does not appeal to me - that is where we differ. lol!

April Lauren said...

I think what they are saying is that if you want to do something interactive the interviewers will play the part of the children. They will answer questions like they are the kiddies. ;)

That is awesome that you are already able to break out the sweater! It has not stayed below 80 here so far this fall!

Good luck on the pre-interview!!!