Sunday, October 9, 2016

Outage 1: Week 1

Well, we've survived our first week of our first outage.  Woohoo!

Let me just say, Jeremy working 12+ hours a day and leaving around 5 every morning and getting back around 7 at night... It's not the most fun.  But, it's the state of things, currently.

So what do mommy and the kiddos do?  Whatever we can!

We go a lot!  So here's the activities we enjoyed this week :).

Tuesday was story-time.  We love story time!  We check out a ton of books, enjoy stories read by Ms. Kristin plus a fun craft (Corbin gets his own to destroy...), and mommy gets to visit with Kristin when it's all done.  This particular Tuesday, I was even told that I should apply for a job opening they have coming open.  Flattering to be thought of, but I am a mama.  I will be staying home with my kiddos for as long as possible :).  Then we went to Chick-Fil-A, just because we could.  But we brought it home to eat, because I'm not such a fan of those play places anymore...

Wednesday we had our HIPPY meeting (pre-school stuff).  So Grace came over and brought us our new curriculum.  Then, because my friend Donna had emailed me and told me that I should go out to Troy Dothan for their homecoming picnic -- since I was an alumna and I once worked there...  Well, we did!  We headed out there and the kids got on the bouncy things (I think they were intended for much older people, but the kids loved it anyway.  Well, Lynnaea tried the really high slide once and flipped, and she decided she was done with that.  LOL.)  But we had lunch and even ice cream.  What's not to love about that!?!
For the record, I helped both kids eat their ice cream.  Not that I needed it...  But they certainly didn't need that much!  Haha.  We got home and they napped for 2 hours.  At which point I woke them up, because we had a play date planned.  Plus I wanted them to actually go to bed that night...  They were obviously worn out!

Thursday, we decided to go to Aplin Farms and try to get a pumpkin at the pumpkin patch.  Well, that was a failed endeavor.  They don't do morning runs out to the pumpkin patch unless you're with a group.  Unless it's a weekend day.  Sigh.  But it wasn't a total bust.  The kids got to play in the sand pit (I really don't like sand, but hey...  it's for the kids ;)) and pet the farm animals and swing and such.  So it was still a good trip!

It is next to impossible to get a decent selfie with two kids...  Sometimes it magically works out.  Other times...




And then, after nap, since we hadn't managed to get a pumpkin, we decided to go to the pumpkin "patch" closer to home at a local church that has one every year. 
See what I mean about the group selfie?  Granted, I don't own a selfie-stick.  Nor am I likely to.
Corbin beating a pumpkin.  He looks pretty happy here, but let me just say for the record that he really dislikes that monkey backpack, now that he knows what it's for...  I have started using it on him when we go out to places I know I don't want him to be able to get far from me...  Seriously, this kid would have gotten to the street, I guarantee it, without that monkey backpack and its tail ;).

On Friday we met up with some friends at the Botanical Gardens and looked at their "scarecrows."  It was really a fun thing to do!  So much creativity and fun ideas.  Lynnaea was excited to see this "Princess Elsa" and also the princess and the unicorn (or cornia as she calls it...).

 Corbin was, again, highly displeased with the backpack situation.  But you see the pond of water, and I know my son...  I'd have had to go in after him....  He liked the fish and turtles too much!

And here's the "cornia" scarecrow.  And you see that every once in a while I did give Corbin a backpack break...  Until he ran off again.
 Here are the 3 of us.  Can you tell Corbin is thrilled to be wearing that monkey again?  Monkey on his back.  Hahaha.
I took a nap with the kiddos on Friday.  I needed one.  And then we spent the rest of the day at home.

Saturday, though we hadn't originally planned to, we decided to go to the Headland Harvest Day.  Jeremy was working, and the kids wanted to get out, so why not?  While there, I paid too much money for 2 arm bands so the kids could go in the bouncy house things unlimited.  Lynnaea's was worth it.  Corbin's... not so much.  He wanted to go in, and then fussed and wanted out as soon as he was in.  Oh well, you live, you learn!

 So mostly, Corbin and I hung out in the shade watching Lynnaea...
 We took a snack break...  And ate lunch there (I think I have come to a point where fair-type food is no longer appealing :(...)  And then Lynnaea bounced again one more time.  And then, to help ease her out of the whole thing, we went and got balloons for both kids. 

We strollered back to the car.  Corbin didn't even make it to his car-seat awake (although he was still gripping his balloon firmly...).  It was a warm day.  But it was fun.  Just something to do.  Then Grandpa came for dinner.  I planned my talk for church today about Developing Christ-like Attributes, and today was church.  Jeremy was off today (yay!) but goes back to work tomorrow.  So we'll plan another week of activities!  I should see if there are some cool ones going on, since it's Columbus Day and all ;).

Oh, and have I mentioned I'm trying to cut back on refined sugars?  So I've been trying out new "healthier" recipes.  The other night, I made a single-serve "healthy" brownie.  It was... gross.
I posted this on facebook and got a couple people asking me if I had high-lights in my hair...  No.  Not unless you count the silvery-gray ones that happened against my wishes... ;).  Also:  If you're looking for a decent healthy dessert...  don't try that brownie!

No comments: