Tuesday, February 2, 2016

'Real ID' and Me

So I'm needing a mental distraction.  So I'm going to climb up on my soapbox and go...

A couple weeks back, while sitting in book club, someone off-handedly remarked that we could no longer fly with a regular (unenhanced) Washington State driver's license.  To say this was a revelation to me is an understatement. 

So apparently, because we don't require proof of citizenship in this state in order to get a driver's license, our regular licenses were no longer acceptable forms of identification under the "Real ID" whatever. 

What!?! 

Okay, first off, I will add that I have since researched this, and the deadline has been extended to 2018, so it's not a current issue.  But regardless.  It was going to happen.  And I knew nothing about it.  And even if I had known...  I have an issue with it.

People at the book club were saying, "It's not a big deal to get the enhanced license.  Just $15 more.  Not the point, people.  The point is I have an ID that tells you who I am.  I should be allowed to use it to travel.  Regardless of my citizenship. 

And don't give me some line about homeland security.  Because let me tell you this:  if a person is legally allowed to change their gender on their driver's license, their passport, and their birth certificate, I think we've already crossed the line of not caring about security.  (Did you know this is something that can be done?  I didn't until recently.  I find it disturbing.  Regardless of what gender one identifies with, the reality is we are born with a gender.  It is written into our DNA.  It is part of our scientifically established and undeniable identity.  Is it really acceptable that all official documents are able to be legally altered to reflect something that is not factual?).  But my official and legitimate driver's license, which has all accurate data (okay, maybe the weight is a little off, but it wasn't because I intentionally gave a wrong number... just that I have had two babies since they asked...) is not sufficiently acceptable ID for me to travel.  That's just asinine. 

And, quite frankly, I think this whole Real ID thing is less about citizenship and more about those RFID tags. 

And I think some things are just pretty messed up.  Period.

Well, that rant didn't last as long as I thought it would. 

1 comment:

Julia-Ann said...

Amen!