Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Family Night Week 7: Following the Prophet's Example

Our Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, is known for how much time he spent visiting widows when he was a young Bishop many years ago.  So this week, I decided that we would follow his example.  We picked 3 sisters in our Ward (congregation) who are widows.  We made little cards with lots of hearts that said "We just want you to know you are loved!"  We took them to those ladies.  Two of them are in a nursing home, and the other is living on her own, but is beginning to show signs of Alzheimer's/dementia.  It is hard to imagine that it could be me one day...  Hard sometimes to remember that these women were once young and full of life.  I wanted Lynnaea to have an opportunity to learn something new about kindness and love -- and helping people know they aren't forgotten.

The downfall is that we planned this last-minute, and not a single one of them was there (even the two in the nursing home weren't in their room -- they are roommates).  So that was a total bummer.  But we left the cards for them, and perhaps we will have an opportunity to try again sometime. 

Because of the time crunch, we did most of family night in the car (other than the making of the cards, which we'd done earlier in the day, when Corbin was napping). 

Song:  Follow the Prophet

Scripture:  Doctrine and Covenants 21: 4-5

Lesson/Activity:  see above

Treat:  cinnamon rolls from Sunday breakfast


And here are a couple pictures...  It is way late, and I need to go to bed!  But I was already behind on posting this, so....
 My babies...  Here's some awesome news:  I haven't changed a poopie diaper for Lynnaea in 2 weeks!  She now asks to poopie on the potty every single time.  It's awesome.  She still doesn't pee on the potty.  But poopies are nastier anyway.  We'll keep working on the peeing.  I'm proud of her. 

Of course, now she does things like run into the friendship room at the funeral home during scrapbooking event and ask loudly if Grandma is going poopie on the potty when she can't find her grandma in her office.  Hahahaha.  I told that to my mom today and my mom laughed so hard.  For the record, Grandma had been upstairs helping a family.  Not going poopie on the potty.  Haha.  This girl.
 And here I am with a clean Corbin-roo! 
 And this was Monday.  I don't usually lock them out of the kitchen, but Monday I was trying to accomplish a lot, and for some reason all four of us kept ending up in the kitchen.  It was a little stressful.  So we put up a gate temporarily.  These babies...  How I love them.  They just like to be wherever Mommy is.

No comments: