Monday, January 12, 2015

Alabama Trip 2014: Installment 3: A Day in T-Town

One of the reasons I told Jeremy, when he asked if I wanted to take a vacation to Alabama in 2014, that I wanted it to be a long vacation was because there were several "stops" I wanted to be able to make.  Tuscaloosa was one of those.

So once we got back to Birmingham on Saturday, we did some fun stuff.  Which I will chronicle in the next post with my Birmingham and Alabama wrap-up.  But basically, the Monday after we got back to Birmingham, we packed up our little rental for a day trip to T-town! 

We took a leisurely drive over (about an hour total) and talked the whole way.  Lynnaea was quite content and well-behaved.  Because we had plenty of time, I decided to take Jeremy on a little tour of the things I used to know.  So we drove through campus.  And by the place my old graduate student apartment used to be.  I pointed out the library where I worked and attended school.  And we pulled up on front of the stadium and took pictures with the statues.  Of course!  I mean, I have pictures by Bear Bryant from my days in Tuscaloosa.  But I figured Lynnaea needed to be in one too -- you know, for posterity ;).

Then, because he is, after all, the up-and-coming next Bear Bryant -- and because the statue wasn't there when I lived there 6 1/2 years ago -- we took a picture with the Nick Saban statue too :).
And then, just because she is so stinking cute, Lynnaea decided to crawl on the pedestal of this guy who I don't even know.  But it was so cute that she climbed up there, stood there, and waited for us to take a picture, that I just had to :).
Deciding that this little munchkin needed a chance to run, we drove down to the Black Warrior River and walked along the trail.  And watched a barge or tug or something go by a couple times.  Of course, since this child has no fear -- and since there isn't a real fence to keep kids from the water -- we ended up carrying her a lot of the way.  Just to be safe.

We also stopped and took a family picture on the bridge.  Just thought it was too pretty not to.

Turns out, a little play place (which was fenced!) had been built since my days there.  I later learned from Annie that it was really recently built, actually.  It was perfect!  And we were the only ones there, so little missy could have her reign!  Jeremy played with her on it too, but she loved sliding and climbing.  It was just what we needed for her to burn off some energy!

And as I sat there on the park bench watching, I looked up and thought, "These are the types of days that make me think I could live in Alabama again and love it!"  The weather was perfect.

After a bit of play time, it was time for us to head to Swen's for some great Chinese food!  I don't know why, but that's where we always go to meet up with Annie and Virginia when I visit :).  I'm not always a Chinese-food lover...  But Swen's has never disappointed me!

It was a lovely visit.  We enjoyed the meal -- Lynnaea mostly enjoyed the fried wonton pieces -- and we chatted.  I love catching up with these wonderful ladies.  It means the world to me that we've kept in touch over the years.  Because they were a huge part of my time in Tuscaloosa.  They were a bright spot of dear friendship, and I am forever indebted to them for the goodness they brought into my life then -- and continue to bring in now.
We still had time after lunch to just relax.  And we knew we wanted Lynnaea happy for the ride home.  So why not let her play at the park again?  So we went back there, and Annie joined us.  So she and I visited a lot while Jeremy and Lynnaea played.  It was awesome :).


But as it goes...  The time passed, and we knew we didn't want to get stuck in Birmingham traffic.  So we headed out.  But not before stopping by the Nut Shop to pick up some boiled peanuts and roasted peanuts to bring back to Washington! 

We made good time back to Julie's -- but still at a nice pace.  No rush.  And we beat the crazy traffic ;).  It was a wonderful day in Tuscaloosa.  And I'm so glad we had the chance to visit it for more than just an hour this time :).

No comments: