Thursday, February 20, 2014

Binder Recipe #1

Okay, truthfully, this isn't really the first binder recipe I've made.  But I have now decided to blog the recipes I try. 

A couple reasons for this:

1.  To document it and note if it's worth keeping or not.
2.  To actually update this blog more.
3.  To include things in this blog that demonstrate I actually do stuff not baby related (not that there is anything wrong with all the baby focus.  She is my joy and pretty much the focus of my time.  She is why I am home.  But I still think it's good that I have other interests.  Moms need those!)
4.  I can keep these recipes digitally and clean out that darn binder.  Or something.  I haven't really decided how to go about that, because I do plan to actually compile them in the binder -- the "keepables."  So, eh... We'll see how I do things. 
5.  To drive my dad crazy.  He loves my food blogs. 


So here we go!


Traditional Macaroni and Cheese
 
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 2/3 cup dry small elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
 
Combine cornstarch, salt, mustard, and pepper in a medium saucepan.  Stir in evaporated milk, water, and butter.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.  Boil for one minute.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted.  Add macaroni, mix well.  Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and light brown.  Yield:  6 servings.
 
Personal notes:  I used medium cheddar, because I don't like sharp and never buy it.  I also only used 1 1/2 cups cheese, as I opted not to sprinkle any extra on the top.  I also taste-tested prior to baking and think this could just as easily be eaten as a stove-top only mac and cheese and skipping the baking step.
 
Verdict:  Keep.  It's decent.  I prefer my mom's, but Jeremy really liked the sharp tang of the mustard in this recipe.  Which probably would have been sharper if I'd used sharp cheddar, so I'm really glad that I didn't!  This is very creamy, which Jeremy also really liked about it.  Creamier than the one my mom makes.  I think it will nice to make this as a change-it-up type thing every now and again.

No comments: